Author Topic: Stonehaven Sheriff Court 'Paternity cases 1846-1916  (Read 2053 times)

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Stonehaven Sheriff Court 'Paternity cases 1846-1916
« on: Thursday 31 August 17 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Our project to index Sheriff Court 'paternity' cases has reached Stonehaven! We have indexed cases from 1846 to 1916.

If you have not used these records before you will be amazed at the detail they contain. When a woman had an illegitimate child she could take the father to court for maintenance of the child and/or prove paternity.

These records can sometimes be the only surviving record of who the father of a child was. Even if you have some information on a birth certificate these entries give you more details and that can be interesting and useful.

When we trace our family tree we come across illegitimate children who usually stay with their mother or her family but how many illegitimate children did your male ancestors have?

Our index has been created by a volunteer and is free to search: www.scottishindxes.com

Hope you find something useful,

Emma

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Stonehaven Sheriff Court 'Paternity cases 1846-1916
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 September 17 01:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma,

Thanks for the update as Stonehaven is a place of interest to myself.

Just thought I would bring to your attention the link address has an error  ;)

I know what it should be i.e. not a problem but for newcomers to genealogy & the area etc. it might be  :-\

"www.scottishindxes.com"

Not meaning to step on your toes  :D

For the benefit of people who haven't ventured to the site previously the link should be http://www.scottishindexes.com/

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Stonehaven Sheriff Court 'Paternity cases 1846-1916
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 September 17 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,

Thank you for correcting my wee typo there! I should have checked that.

Emma