Author Topic: Pant Mwyn Talysarn  (Read 1211 times)

Offline cilgwyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pant Mwyn Talysarn
« on: Thursday 31 August 17 18:11 BST (UK) »
I wonder if any one could help me with regards to the address Pant Mwyn, Talysarn.  My brother-in-law has recently obtained his father's RAF service record (from the 1940s) where it gives his mother as next of kin with that address.  We cannot find it on any map.  We would be grateful if anyone has any local knowledge.

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Pant Mwyn Talysarn
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 September 17 20:28 BST (UK) »
Have you tried their names for that area in the 1939 Register*to see what might turn up? I have tried a search in the address field with nil luck

* on FindMyPast

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 September 17 21:16 BST (UK) »
Is this it near Llandudno junction, it is tal y Sarn on a modern map.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ko0/

Mike

Added, not sure now, there is a talysarn village just south of Caernarfon, cannot see a pant mwyn tho.

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 September 17 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
I couldn't find it on an earlier Census. It's very difficult to find 'by address' on the 1939 Census because of the way the addresses have been transcribed. What's the name of the mother ?

I've asked a person born 1939 and brought up in Talysarn, but he can't recall a place called Pant Mwyn. What was the name of the person in the RAF; knowing that might help.
Emyr

Offline cilgwyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 September 17 16:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your replies.  The Talysarn is in the parish of Llanllyfni.  I did find the family in the 1939 register but they were then living elsewhere.  I presume the parents had temporarily "evacuated" to Talysarn by 1943 which is the date of the service record when they were recorded as the next of kin.  The names involved are Ceris Aled Morris Jones who was in the RAF and his parents were William E Jones and Maria Mary Morris.

Offline Ian999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 September 17 18:14 BST (UK) »
Cilgwyn,
If this stuff was easy we would not enjoy digging into it.

Some comments:

1.   My wife and my sister-in-law grew up in Talysarn around the early 1940s and neither of them have any recollection of a Pant Mwyn.

2.   The 1939 Register(free preview) shows Ceris A M Jones and William E Jones, living Holywell U.D., Flintshire .

3.   The 1901 Census shows Maria M Morris (who you say became a Jones) being born in Pantymwyn, Mold.

4.   The 1911 Census shows a William Edward Jones of the correct age living at “The Shop” Pantymwyn, Mold.

The connection between a young shopkeeper in 1911 and “Cash Store” in 1939 is very strong.

Where the reference to Talysarn comes in is a mystery to me but I suggest that there is a strong possibility that the RAF document was filled in incorrectly and instead of “address of next of kin” it was “place of birth” that was written down in the wrong box.

Offline cilgwyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 16:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much.  With that extra information that all makes perfect sense.  I am very grateful to you for solving our problem.