Author Topic: How do I find which is the right John?  (Read 4431 times)

Offline Margaretindevon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find which is the right John?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 08 September 17 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve
Sorry for the delay in replying. We have had a leak under the sink which has wrecked the sink unit.....you would not believe the problem I have had in getting a 1200mm sink unit carcase.....the DIY places only seem to do up to 1000mm. Then we had to source matching doors as the water wrecked them too.....and the kitchen went in 9 years ago! Finally managed to tie it all together yesterday.

Yes I was born in Port Isaac, on Church Hill. I remember the Golden Lion, but Muriel is after my time I think. I still have relatives there, and parents, grand-parents, uncles, aunts and cousins buried in St Endellion Church yard.

I have quite a lot of trees that I have researched over the years, and have them all in separate trees/databases as it were. I have been wondering about amalgamating it all together in one huge tree, keeping the originals as backups of course, which would enable me to see at a glance which people I need to look further into. Do you think this would prove to be too unwieldy? It would certainly amount to a lot of people. Is there an easy way to do this in Roots Magic?

What would anyone suggest I do about a certain Jane Rider, who was born in 1818, married a Paul Scudamore in Bath, St James on 23 November 1834, lived in Bath, Lyncombe and Widcombe all her life, and didn't know where she was born? I have all the census entries from 1851 to 1891, she either has put not known , Tiverton, or Sheffield, Yorkshire. Neither she nor Paul Scudamore are in the 1901 census. I have checked but not able to find a baptism for her in either place. I seem to have been singularly blessed with ancestors who know nothing!!
I can quite see why I abandoned some of these lines ten years ago!
Margaret

Offline Margaretindevon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 11 September 17 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

An update on finding the right John.
Today in the post I received the two death certificates, one for John Brown aged 44 died 2/12/1850, occupation Accountant, certified by his wife Mary, so clearly not my Mariner John.

The other for John Henry aged ten and a half, son of a mariner, certified by John Brown, Father, Mariner. So this one is "mine".

I have not heard from Bristol Record Office as yet, they said it would be up to two weeks before they replied, then I could order the copies of the marriages I wanted. Does anyone do Look-ups in Bristol record office please? At that rate I could well be dead before we get anywhere!!

Margaret

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 11 September 17 16:32 BST (UK) »
You could try posting a request here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/gloucestershire-lookup-requests/

and best to link to this thread so people can read what you already have
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott