Author Topic: How do I find the right John  (Read 924 times)

Offline Margaretindevon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How do I find the right John
« on: Thursday 31 August 17 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
I posted this in the beginners forum, but think it would have been better on here. Forgive an 80 year old for getting a bit muddled!!

I have just started looking at my Family History after a break of some years. I have done fairly well on the main lines in my family, getting back to 1414 on one line, but am now looking at others further back.

The problem:-
My  Mary Ann Brown was Baptised in 1834 at St Philip and Jacob, Bristol Gloucestershire. Father John, mother Ann.

The parents appear in the 1841 Census of Temple, Bristol, John's age given as 35, Ann's as 30 where it showed they had a son Charles aged 15, and Mary Ann aged 7. I do know these ages were rounded up or down in this census.

In the 1841 census of St Augustine the Less, Bristol, Ann is shown as a widow, Charles is 26, Mary Ann 17. in both cases they said they were born in Bristol.

I have searched for a marriage for John and Ann from 1811 to 1825 and come up with four possible marriages so far.

Has anyone any idea as to how I can pinpoint the correct John & Ann?

Also, any pointers as to how to find John's baptism would be gratefully received. I have tried a search for John/father Charles  ( in case his son was named for his father) but so far with no success.

Thanks for reading this and for any help received.
Margaretindevon

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find the right John
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 September 17 01:30 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to RootsChat

Replies are being posted on your post in Beginners forum

Just thought I would mention that to save duplicate look ups

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Margaretindevon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find the right John
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 September 17 13:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Suz.