Author Topic: Tomlinson in Lytham  (Read 446 times)

Offline JONSUE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Tomlinson in Lytham
« on: Thursday 31 August 17 23:52 BST (UK) »
I believe that the Lowther Gardens in Lytham were laid out by an employee of the Clifton Estate. He is referred to just as "Mr Tomlinson" in the histories of the gardens that I can find online. Can anyone help me with the full name of this person. I am interested to see if it might be a relative.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Tomlinson in Lytham
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 September 17 00:49 BST (UK) »
https://lowtherpavilion.co.uk/about-the-lowther/history-of-the-lowther-pavilion/

I am interested to see if it might be a relative.

If he was a relative - you must have him on a census showing his occupation.  Have you checked the 1871 census?  Only 5 male Tomlinsons living in Lytham of which only 3 were the right age and only one had an occupation of gardener

William Tomlinson aged 50 born Wrightington   RG10 Piece 4221 Folio 68 Page 13

Whether it's the same Tomlinson you would need to contact Lowther Gdns or Lytham Heritage Group to see if they can clarify it for you
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Tomlinson in Lytham
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 September 17 22:51 BST (UK) »
Opening of Lowther Gardens
reported Saturday August 31st  1872
On Tuesday,Lytham was en fete,the whole of the shops and and places of business being closed
on the occasion of the opening of of a small but very beautiful park and gardens named Lowther Gardens facing Lowther Terrace and a short distance from the Clifton Hotel,
The grounds which comprises nearly 13 acres is the gift of J.T Clifton of Lytham Hall,the Lord of the manor,and has been exquisitely laid out by Mr Barnes of Lytham from the design of Mr Rowbotham park keeper to the Preston Corporation
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,