Author Topic: Anyone help identify this uniform?  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone help identify this uniform?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 September 17 15:18 BST (UK) »
Do you know which town or city where he might have lived? I have a book which lists all regiments and battalions therein and their progressions. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 September 17 15:39 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon,

Probably post 1881, prior to that helmet plates had the regt'l no in the centre. Cut out of the centre disc it can be seen easily when present.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline searchingforfoxalls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 September 17 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, would have lived around Merseyside/Liverpool. I'm thinking it might be the son of the ancestor I thought it was, due to the discrepancy in dates now....

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 September 17 16:22 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, Kings Liverpool Regiment, they had rather a lot of VB's. I don't think I can isolate the one we're looking for.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline T1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 September 17 19:24 BST (UK) »
The centre of his helmet plate (badge) looks like the traditional heraldic rose used by both Yorkshire and Lancashire (in different colours of course!).  Assuming that this Volunteer Battalion has a similar badge to its regular parent regiment, this would make him a member of the York and Lancaster Regiment.  This only had two volunteer battalions, the 1st (Hallamshire) Volunteer Battalion based in Sheffield, and the 2nd Volunteer Battalion based around Rotherham, Doncaster, Barnsley.  Both of these units did wear a very similar helmet plate to that seen here, with a rose as a central device.  This gentleman, wearing a rank badge of 4 stripes and probably a crown, appears to be the battalion's sergeant major or possibly another senior non-commissioned member of the unit (note regular sergeant majors wore a different badge of just a crown in the same place).

The precise pattern of the cuff points to a date in the late-1890s, for reasons that are slightly difficult to describe (so I'm afraid I'm not going to try!).  Unfortunately both the possible battalions wore similar uniforms, but as he would certainly have been one of the most notable individuals in his unit you may even get lucky and be able to pick him out in a group photo somewhere.

No Liverpool volunteer battalion wore white facings (collar and cuffs) with scarlet tunics, so I think you can abandon that idea.

Kind regards T