Author Topic: Help who can you believe?  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Help who can you believe?
« on: Friday 01 September 17 12:02 BST (UK) »
HELP please this is VERY STRANGE
I have always believed that Free Reg were transcriptions of actual registers. Similarly I thought that records on Family Search with definite batch numbers could be trusted as extracted from the actual registers.
BUT which of the following are right.
FR Sedgley 28 Jun 1752    Stephen FLAVILL Over Gornal
Father    Daniel FLAVILL
Mother Sarah

or
FS      C00998-2 SEDGLEY,STAFFORD 28 JUN 1752 Stephen Flavill father Dan. Flavill no mother given

There are other's from the same family with similar discrepancies
which site is reliable please it makes a huge difference as there are at least two Daniel's having children at the same time
eg Samuel baptised 28 Jun 1752 to Dan, Flavill C00998-2
HELP PLEASE how can I sort out the mulyipal Daniels with trusted sites disagreeing any ideas?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help who can you believe?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 September 17 12:33 BST (UK) »
I am very willing to be corrected here, but two answers come to mind.

*  Firstly, there are Parish Registers and there are also Bishop's transcripts, which I believe were copies made of the PR's to be sent to, and lodged with, the Bishop. Consequently an inaccurate copy would contain different details to the original.

*  Secondly, the information to be found on-line, I believe, has been transcribed by anyone willing to undertake transcribing.  As such the level of discrepancies between the original and the transcription will vary according to the accuracy of the transcriber.

The bottom line HAS to be that one should always look at the original PR entry, not least because the information provided in the register may be greater (eg: witnesses,) than what is given in the transcription.  However, some errors can be discovered even then, probably due to accents, hearing levels and possibly even sobriety!!  :-\
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 September 17 12:44 BST (UK) »
Family search record shows film numbers -
GS Film number   421587 & 88 - They are both Bishop's transcripts for Sedgley, 1673-1853

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 September 17 12:56 BST (UK) »
GS Film number   421587 & 88 - They are both Bishop's transcripts for Sedgley, 1673-1853

Thanks Rosie.... so if the FreeReg entry has been taken direct from the original PR, they may well show different information (as I suggest above).
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 September 17 13:02 BST (UK) »

Thanks Rosie.... so if the FreeReg entry has been taken direct from the original PR, they may well show different information (as I suggest above).

I think you are probably right  ;D     

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 September 17 13:14 BST (UK) »

I think you are probably right  ;D   

Fantastic! "Probably" is good enough for me.  ;)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 September 17 13:21 BST (UK) »
 ;D   ;D   ;D

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 September 17 17:37 BST (UK) »
Many thanks both I am taking the FREE REG data until such time as I can get to the RO not easy these days having just had eye surgery and not allowed to lift my head up for the next three months at least I can position my lap top so I am looking down at it but the readers at the ROs are usually fixed on high tables
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 September 17 17:50 BST (UK) »
Not entirely sure this is a good idea, but have you considered taking a short sub for findmypast? They have images of the register entries.

Hope you make a swift recovery.