Author Topic: Wirral Heritage Open Days  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Wirral Heritage Open Days
« on: Friday 01 September 17 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just thought this may be of interest -

Many buildings, churches etc are open to the public with free access from 2.9.17 - 10.9.17 during Wirral Heritage Week. These places are either not normally open to the public or there is a charge to enter.
Some interesting places, walks and lovely churches including the derelict chapel in Flaybrick Cemetery where conservation work has been carried out and will be open to the public on certain days this week at 2.00 p.m.

Some require booking but lots have no booking required.

Here's the link to the brochure -

http://www.visitwirral.com/whats-on/heritage-open-days

Regards

Neptune

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wirral Heritage Open Days
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 08:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Neptune - my ancestors are from the Wirral - Neston / Little Neston and Poulton ...I will have a look to see if I am in luck  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
You're welcome.

Some of the places are well worth visiting. You may just find something of interest for yourself.

There are also heritage sites, churches etc. open to the public in Liverpool - including free access to Speke Hall this Saturday.

Just search for Heritage Open Days - then select Liverpool or here's a link from the Liverpool Echo.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/arts-culture-news/secret-liverpool-revealed-heritage-open-9903401

Good Luck

Neptune

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 07:25 BST (UK) »
Ha ha - I live in Speke - and the last owner Miss Watt when she died she put it in her will that anyone who lived in Speke could walk the grounds and visit the Hall for free - they just had to take proof of their address ...there is also Speke Dam - a fishing Lake in Speke Hall - membership is £42 a year ..I was a member and so were my 2 sons ...for any members reading , Speke Hall is well worth a visit - Mary Queen of Scots hid there when the Royal Troops were searching for her ..and the likes of Armoured suits are an eye opener as well because the average height of them are under 5 ft - the average height of troops in 16th century .....Thanks Neptune  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Garstonite

That's great to have on your doorstep especially if you're able to visit. I didn't know there was a dam there too. I did visit years ago - fascinating house.

These heritage days are a great opportunity to see some lovely houses, churches etc -  many more this week/weekend.

We went to see the chapels at Flaybrick Cemetery which have undergone some restoration after years of being derelict - no roof yet though. There's also a guided walk around the cemetery this Saturday. Some of the churches are ancient and beautiful inside. Some have old pictures etc on display.

I'll probably be kept busy again this weekend!

Kind regards

Neptune

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 September 17 10:46 BST (UK) »
The Fishing Lake / Dam is on the road on the right hand side - first Gate as you come to the house - the reason you didn't see it is because it is in the woods just to the left of the farmers field .and surrounded by trees  :)