Author Topic: Sutherland  (Read 3883 times)

Offline Taylor111

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sutherland
« on: Friday 01 September 17 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hello, after a bit of help if anyone can please.

My great uncle was apparently Andrew Sutherland born around 1910–Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland.
His mother was Janet Gilmour Crawford(1870–1958)
His father William Sutherland born 1882 (I think, not sure on death)
They were married 29 Jul 1904  Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Janet had 6 children fro her first marriage to Mr Patterson.

She then had my grandmother Williamina Born 1906. James 1905 (no idea what happened to him either) And then Andrew born 1910.
I have the 1911 census which i paid for for and all children are on it.

I was told Andrew moved to Canada, but I can't find anything. And James is a mystery too.
I have found half the pattersons, half moving to America also.

But it is Andrew and James I am really trying to find anything on. I know my grandmother went to visit him often as there are a lot of shipping records for her going back and forth to Canada.

I am wondering if I maybe have James and Andrews birth years wrong? And I have them being born  Renfrewshire, Scotland.

Any help or advice welcomed. Thanks ;D   

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sutherland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 September 17 00:48 BST (UK) »

SUTHERLAND ANDREW CRAWFORD Born 1909 Paisley you can download his original birth reg from Scotlands People.

SUTHERLAND JAMES Born 1904 Paisley you can download his original birth reg from Scotlands People.

The 1911 Census has a many children from both marriages you might want to get a copy of that as well.

James married Annie Dickson Graham on the 16 March 1928 in Dumbarton he died there in 1993.  You can acquire a copy of his marriage and death from Scotlands People.

If Andrew stayed in Canada you should make a post for Andrew on the Canada Forum. 

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 September 17 00:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Taylor111,

DonM pipped me to the post    ;D The middle name for Andrew is potentially very helpful.

I know my grandmother went to visit him often as there are a lot of shipping records for her going back and forth to Canada. 

Under what name did Williamina  travel to and from Canada - maiden, married? Can you provide some details of the instances you have her travelling - dates etc.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 September 17 02:43 BST (UK) »
The 1911 Census has a many children from both marriages you might want to get a copy of that as well.

DonM,

The poster has that info.  ;)

I have the 1911 census which i paid for for and all children are on it.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Taylor111

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 September 17 08:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you guys. Yes I do have the 1911 census. Yes she travelled as Williamina Sutherland, which is strange as she married my grandfather. Rumour was as well that Andrew married a native Indian woman.
Thanks for the help with dates, I just try my best to work them out via Census records.   

Offline Taylor111

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 September 17 08:47 BST (UK) »
I have downloaded his birth record, thank you for that. I can't quite make out the date its oct and twenty something ? Can I send to anyone who might have better eyes than me please. Thanks

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 September 17 09:23 BST (UK) »
Yes she travelled as Williamina Sutherland, which is strange as she married my grandfather.

Do you have some dates?  There may be clues on the manifest (in and out of the UK and Canada)  as to where in Canada she was headed.

I do see a couple  Williamina SUTHERLAND of around right age travelling to and from Canada, however one of them was a  Williamina Greig SUTHERLAND (associated with Glasgow, and was a Stenographer) - the other was a Williamina Gunn SUTHERLAND (associated with Wick, Caithness).

Could you tell us her married name? Scottish women did often retain or interchange in  use of their maiden names, also often reverting to it when widowed.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Taylor111

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 September 17 09:36 BST (UK) »
I have looked for James to download his birth record, but nothing at all is coming up. I even put from 1903-1905 and nothing. 

Offline Taylor111

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 September 17 09:39 BST (UK) »
She married William Low. I have everything on her, birth, death, addresses, siblings, children ext. It is her brothers I am struggling with. Andrew and James. But Andrew I a trying to crack.