Author Topic: Williams of Queenstown 1840  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Jillity

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Williams of Queenstown 1840
« on: Saturday 02 September 17 07:14 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to trace my family history on my grandfather's side but I haven't got very far.  My grandfather's father was called John Andrew Williams.  According to the UK census records he was born in Queenstown in County Cork in 1840 or 1841.  He was married in England and on his marriage certificate it says he was a widower.  His father's name was William Campbell Williams and he was a solicitor.  That's as far as I've got.  I can find no record of William Campbell Williams anywhere and no record of John Andrew's birth.  I would love to find out a bit more about that side of the family. Any help would be appreciated. 

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Williams of Queenstown 1840
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 September 17 08:13 BST (UK) »
records online, free on irishgenealogy

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01knf/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 September 17 08:17 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kng/  gets you all John Williams

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 September 17 08:20 BST (UK) »
There was a Dublin attorney named Campbell Williams. Married Julia Knox in 1827.

https://goo.gl/Zu2BMo
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Jillity

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 September 17 12:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the links.  I've searched the Irish Genealogy site before but haven't found any matching birth records for John Andrew Williams or any information on William Campbell Williams.  The discussion on Ancestry and the genealogy site was posted by my niece.  We have all the information on John Andrew Williams in England but neither of us has been able to find anything on his father or any record of his birth in Queenstown.   
John Andrew married Emma Gill illegally and I wondered if maybe he lied a bit about his background because of that.  He was previously married to Jane Gill who was Emma's sister but when Jane died he married Emma.  She was only 21 and far away from her home in Carlisle.  It must have been a tumultuous time in her life as they had Jane's little girl to bring up.  I should imagine poor Emma had a lot of growing up to do in a very short time.  She was my great grandmother.  My mother mentioned her from time to time but she never knew her as she died in 1902, before my mother was born.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 September 17 12:47 BST (UK) »
No.4267
Sacred To the Memory of | GEORGE WILLIAMS | Barrister At Law of 47 Baggot Street, Dublin | died November 1844, aged 85 years | and his wife MARY WILLIAMS | died March 1846 aged 80 years | Of his son CAMPBELL WILLIAM WILLIAMS | died January 1848, aged 49 years | Of his daughter ELIZA ANNA WILLIAMS | died June 1857 aged 50 years | and of his son ROBERT CARLISLE WILLIAMS | M.D. F.R.C.S.I. of 14 Lower Fitzwilliam St. Dublin | died June 1860 aged 55 years | Also To the Memory of | FRANCESCA GABRIELLA WILLIAMS | wife of ROBERT CARLISLE WILLIAMS | died January 1876 aged 67 years | and of their daughter | LUCINDA HENRIETTA WILLIAMS | died October 1853 aged 15½ years | Erected by their son | G. R. C. WILLIAMS | Indian Civil Service retired | A.D. 1912

(Mount Jerome Cemetery, Dublin)

http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/dublin/photos/tombstones/1headstones/mt-jerome29.txt

Offline Jillity

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 September 17 13:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you, it could possibly be the same as William Campbell Williams.  I'll follow it up.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 September 17 13:26 BST (UK) »