Author Topic: Williams of Queenstown 1840  (Read 2736 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Williams of Queenstown 1840
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 02 September 17 22:46 BST (UK) »
His father was just a solicitor, not an attorney so I don't think the attorney in Dublin is part of our family.

I wouldn't be so dismissive. Campbell William Williams is listed as a solicitor in Ireland directories for 1841 and 1843. The presence of his daughter Hannah in Newcastle at the same time as JAW is also adding to the circumstantial evidence.

How many Irish lawyers named Campbell Williams do you imagine there were in the 1840's? I have found only one.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 02 September 17 22:55 BST (UK) »
Seconded!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Jillity

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 03 September 17 05:25 BST (UK) »
I didn't think he was that posh  :) He must have changed his name around as it's given as William Campbell Williams on his son's marriage certificate.  Maybe he called himself Campbell William Williams.  I did wonder if JAW called his first daughter Maria Julia after his mother.  I'll have another look at the records and add it to the family tree with some notes.

Offline Jillity

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 03 September 17 07:51 BST (UK) »
I think you could well be right. This does sound like that side of my family. I never dreamt that my third great uncle could be so distinguished as to be a president of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland.  I bet my mother didn't know!  Other parts of our family were quite poverty stricken.  Some took in laundry and narrowly avoided the workhouse.