Author Topic: Carbeth Hutters  (Read 679 times)

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carbeth Hutters
« on: Saturday 02 September 17 13:37 BST (UK) »
According to one website, the first person to build a hut at Carbeth was a returned WW1 soldier. The Hutters have told me that they believe his name was William Ferris, of Glasgow, and that he was either a Bookseller or Pamphleteer.

I would like to be able to identify him.

Alistair

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Carbeth Hutters
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 September 17 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Alistair ,

Google books has his death as 1963.
Scotlandspeople only has one death for a William Ferris 1963 , age 68 , Old or West Kilpatrick Dunbarton(shire).

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 September 17 16:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Ev,

Where did you find him in Google books?

Alistair

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 September 17 17:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Ev.

The one that died in 1963 was a Philatelist - not a million miles away from being a Bookseller.

I have found him in the 1901 Census, to be continued...

Alistair

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 September 17 18:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that ev, interesting stuff. I remember a stamp dealer called Ferris, was it on St Vincent Street?

Skoosh.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 September 17 08:34 BST (UK) »
Newspaper reports have references for a Mr Wm Ferris 159 West Nile Street Glasgow around 1940.
The Daily Record were recommending him for free valuations of Antiques.

I'm sure I saw a reference yesterday to William Ferris , 159 West Nile Street , antiques dealer and stamp collector.
This William Ferris is on the Valuation Rolls for 1925/1930.

Skoosh , could the shop have been on the corner of St Vincent Street / West Nile Street ?

ev

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 September 17 13:59 BST (UK) »
Dunno Ev, the place I'm thinking of was just off George Square, St Vincent Place? Google says West Nile Street so mebbes I'm losing the plot! ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 September 17 14:42 BST (UK) »
Tracing back from the details in the registration of his death, his parents were James and Ann, and he had a sister Mary. In 1901, the family were living at 115 Blackburn Street, his father was an Iron Planer and his mother a Confectionary Shopkeeper. In 1911, his father had become a Licensed Broker and his mother, a General Dealer. They had a servant and lived at Glebe Street.

According to the Hutters website, "Following an initiative by William Ferris and a Mr McMilan, three huts were erected on Carbeth Guthrie Estate. Ferris was a significant figure, becoming a vice-president of the Camping Club of Great Britain and Ireland, vice-chairman of the Scottish Council of Physical Recreation, Chairman of the Scottish Rights of Way Society, Scottish Ramblers Federation and a member of the Scottish Tourist Board. A few people were allowed to camp in tents on certain other parts of Carbeth Guthrie Estate. Ferris assisted Allan Barns-Graham with huts at Carbeth from 1920 to 1943."

Unfortunately the only two Service Records I can see are not for him, but it would be good to find out what he did in WW1.

In the meantime I will contact the organisations mentioned.

Alistair