Author Topic: Carbeth Hutters  (Read 2745 times)

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carbeth Hutters
« on: Saturday 02 September 17 13:37 BST (UK) »
According to one website, the first person to build a hut at Carbeth was a returned WW1 soldier. The Hutters have told me that they believe his name was William Ferris, of Glasgow, and that he was either a Bookseller or Pamphleteer.

I would like to be able to identify him.

Alistair

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Carbeth Hutters
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 September 17 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Alistair ,

Google books has his death as 1963.
Scotlandspeople only has one death for a William Ferris 1963 , age 68 , Old or West Kilpatrick Dunbarton(shire).

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 September 17 16:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Ev,

Where did you find him in Google books?

Alistair

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 September 17 17:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Ev.

The one that died in 1963 was a Philatelist - not a million miles away from being a Bookseller.

I have found him in the 1901 Census, to be continued...

Alistair

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 September 17 18:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that ev, interesting stuff. I remember a stamp dealer called Ferris, was it on St Vincent Street?

Skoosh.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 September 17 08:34 BST (UK) »
Newspaper reports have references for a Mr Wm Ferris 159 West Nile Street Glasgow around 1940.
The Daily Record were recommending him for free valuations of Antiques.

I'm sure I saw a reference yesterday to William Ferris , 159 West Nile Street , antiques dealer and stamp collector.
This William Ferris is on the Valuation Rolls for 1925/1930.

Skoosh , could the shop have been on the corner of St Vincent Street / West Nile Street ?

ev

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 September 17 13:59 BST (UK) »
Dunno Ev, the place I'm thinking of was just off George Square, St Vincent Place? Google says West Nile Street so mebbes I'm losing the plot! ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 September 17 14:42 BST (UK) »
Tracing back from the details in the registration of his death, his parents were James and Ann, and he had a sister Mary. In 1901, the family were living at 115 Blackburn Street, his father was an Iron Planer and his mother a Confectionary Shopkeeper. In 1911, his father had become a Licensed Broker and his mother, a General Dealer. They had a servant and lived at Glebe Street.

According to the Hutters website, "Following an initiative by William Ferris and a Mr McMilan, three huts were erected on Carbeth Guthrie Estate. Ferris was a significant figure, becoming a vice-president of the Camping Club of Great Britain and Ireland, vice-chairman of the Scottish Council of Physical Recreation, Chairman of the Scottish Rights of Way Society, Scottish Ramblers Federation and a member of the Scottish Tourist Board. A few people were allowed to camp in tents on certain other parts of Carbeth Guthrie Estate. Ferris assisted Allan Barns-Graham with huts at Carbeth from 1920 to 1943."

Unfortunately the only two Service Records I can see are not for him, but it would be good to find out what he did in WW1.

In the meantime I will contact the organisations mentioned.

Alistair