Author Topic: Whinwell Home, Stirling, Scotland  (Read 1996 times)

Offline muriellecampbell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whinwell Home, Stirling, Scotland
« on: Saturday 02 September 17 17:59 BST (UK) »
I am researching my husband's father Robert Murray Campbell and his brother John Murray (Jr.) at the Whinwell Home (orphanage) for children.  We know both brothers lived in an orphanage. We believed it to be the Whinwell Home.  Here for more details:  Robert Murray Campbell was born on December 24, 1921 at 66 Cowane Street, Stirling Scotland and his brother John Murray born on July 17th, 1925 also birth at the same location.  Their mother was Annie (Melville) Campbell.  She was born January 14th, 1898 at Lintriggs, Falkirk.  Her parents were Robert Campbell, a Labourer from Falkirk and Jessie (Melville) Campbell born at Airth. 

Robert and John Murray (Jr.)'s father is John Murray (Sr.) was a Seaman in the Merchant Service and did not marry Annie.  We don't have many details except for a few bits of information passed down from the family of John Murray (Jr.).  We were told that John Murray Sr. had died at sea. We understand that it may not be the case so we are prepared for the truth.  Since I am the researcher in the family, my husband John Murray Campbell is accepting of us looking for more details on his father's time spent at the orphanage.  The family of John Murray Jr. is also interested to have more information. 

The brothers' mother Annie (Melville) Campbell married John William Buchan Wilson on October 13, 1931 at Holy Trinity Church, Stirling.  The brothers would have lived in the Whinwell Home between 1921 and 1931. Then they went to live with their mother Annie and her husband John William Buchan Wilson.   

Robert Murray Campbell died on March 10,  1994 in Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada and John Murray (Jr.) died on November 1st, 2001.

I would love to find out if indeed they were at Whinwell Home and how to get the information for the brothers's stay there.  Can anyone offer some advice, suggestions, who to contact, etc. 

I would be very grateful for any assistance and kind generosity to anyone who would love to help to get the brothers's  information.

Sincerely,

Murielle Campbell
Murray and Campbell

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Whinwell Home, Stirling, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 September 17 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Muriel

A couple of old posts here on RC:

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=42143.0
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=202280.0

Have you tried contacting the archives to see what records they may have in respect of Robert and John?

Some details here from the Stirling Local History Society www.stirling-lhs.org/sca-whinwell-home.html

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline muriellecampbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 September 17 18:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the location of the records for Whinwell Home, Stirling.  Much appreciated! :)  Murielle Campbell
Murray and Campbell

Offline Granny sinclair

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 February 23 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

My name is Lorraine and I'm from Stirling. My sister and I both resided in Whinwell home for a year from 1962-63. I was two and a half and my sister Faith was almost four However my sister didn't take too well at being uprooted from her home and placed in a strange place with a lot of strange people but my sister was always timid as a child and cried a lot, well that's what I remember. I on the other hand didn't appear too concerned by the sudden move; according to my mother. My new surroundings appeared to intrigued me, ie the children, the staff, the big playground at the rear of the house and the abundance of new toys. One thing that is very clear in my mind is the big house sitting at the top of a long drive which was overlooked by Stirling Castle. There was a small cottage on the right hand side half way up the drive. it was a tedious walk for small legs and I often cried to be carried. The big entry door into the hall and the matron's office to the left was where we congrigated on the first day of our separation my mother. I don't remember much about the people I shared a year of my life with or their names but I don't recall being unhappy.

Photos/Annie Croall/

I have a black and white photograph of  Whinwell home, later Stirling Children's Home then Aberlour Chilcare Trust took it over which still continues to this day). I'll dig the photo out, if i still have it!.. and post it on the site for anyone who's may be interested.
The Smith's Institute in Stirling has some good historical information related to Annie Croall former owner of the home and her father Alexander Croall first curator of the Smith's Institute around 1870s. There is also a book called shadows by Thomas Christie that's set in the 19th century and includes areas of the town and sections that include Alexander and Annie Croall and someone called Davie included in the story. I
The Stirling Archives has a lot of old newspapers which date back to the early/mid 19th century which may prove useful for anyone doing research into Stirling or the Home.

Thank you for your interest

Lorraine

Offline cejgla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 09:40 GMT (UK) »

Have a look at the following link for some contextual information and photographs of children emigrating.

https://www.stirling.gov.uk/community-life-and-leisure/libraries-and-archives/archives/document-of-the-month/document-of-the-month-2023/document-of-the-month-september/

Regards, Claire.

Offline cejgla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile