Author Topic: Help finding where great great grandfather and two children are buried  (Read 875 times)

Offline shug2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help finding where great great grandfather and two children are buried
« on: Saturday 02 September 17 19:08 BST (UK) »
My great great grandfather Emanuel Blanshard (Blanchard) was buried on 19 Nov 1865 in the parish of Holme-on-Spalding-Moor. The register copy I found is from the Yorkshire Bishop's Transcript of Burials, but does not list the specific place of burial for him. 

Two of his children, George Emanuel 2 and Mary Louisa 1, died in July and December 1861, respectively, in the same town.   The vicar was George G. Holmes.  I've looked at the HoSM internment list on Find-A-Grave, but they're not listed there for All Saints Church.

Can someone help?  Was there another cemetery around that time?

Thanks.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding where great great grandfather and two children are buried
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 September 17 20:42 BST (UK) »
According to the National Index of Parish Registers, burials at the parish church continued until at least the 1970s. No other church or chapel burial registers are mentioned covering the 1860s, and if there was still room in the churchyard, it's unlikely in a small town/village, but not impossible, that there was a secular cemetery as well at that sort of date.

The fact that you've found the burial in the Bishops Transcripts suggests that it took place in the churchyard, though some clergy recorded all burials within the parish in the church registers (especially if they officiated), even if they took place elsewhere. But unless there's any evidence to the contrary, I think it's most likely to have been in the churchyard.

I don't often use Find-a-Grave, but I understand it's basically a site where memorials are listed. If your family aren't listed, it may simply mean that there isn't a memorial there (or it hasn't yet been transcribed). Lots of people were buried without memorials, and many old ones have now disappeared or become unreadable.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 September 17 21:33 BST (UK) »
The parish registers for Holme on Spalding Moor are held at the Borthwick Institute in York, copies of the registers MAY be on fiche at the archives in Beverley.

The East Yorkshire Family History Society have recorded the MI's for Holme on Spalding Moor, a copy of which is available through their website. though it wont be of use if your family didn't have a headstone.

As the crow flies I'm only about 10 miles from HOSM and I'm not aware of a burial ground apart from the churchyard and that sits on the top of a steep hill.
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shug2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 September 17 00:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Bee and ArthurK, for your responses.  Since my gg grandfather had tuberculosis, he probably had not worked for a period of time.  A headstone/memorial may not have been in their budget.  The cemetery is 99% transcribed on Find-A-Grave, so it seems he does not have a headstone. 

I appreciate the information.