Author Topic: Susan Farrell, Sallynoggin, Co. Dublin  (Read 1622 times)

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Susan Farrell, Sallynoggin, Co. Dublin
« on: Saturday 02 September 17 22:55 BST (UK) »
My Gt Grandfather Christopher Carr married his second wife Susan Farrell on 1st September 1878 at St Michael's Church, Dún Laoghaire. Her parents were listed as Miles Farrell and Bridget Byrne from Sallynoggin and the witness Patrick Byrne and Mary Farrell, Belgrave Square probably Monkstown Co Dublin. I can't seem to get any handle on the Farrell family. Did Susan have brothers and/or sisters?

Christopher Carr, my Gt Grandfather was born in Liverpool and travelled back and forth Dublin/Liverpool over the years. We originally thought he had met the second wife in Liverpool where he returned after the death of his first wife but a kind rootschatter Tara guided me to the marriage of 1 st September 1878 in Dún Laoghaire.
Christopher Carr settled in what was then called Avondale or Thomastown and is now know as Sallynoggin.
McGuirk, Jordan of Wicklow
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock

Offline reigns1989

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Susan Farrell, Sallynoggin, Co. Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 January 20 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I am new to the forum and noticed this post about Susan Farrell and Christopher Carr.

It's very interesting to read this, Christopher was my 3rd great grandfather.

I do have him down as passing away in Thomastown in Rathdown too.

Would be interested to chat to see if our research can benefit each other at all?

Thanks!

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 January 20 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Possible sister
Mary Farel d of Miles Farel and Bridget Byrne 8.6.1851 at Killaveny  alternatively known as
 Annacorra
god parents Pat Doyle and Lilly Eilleen Muckleover.

Ciderdrinker

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 January 20 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Great to see activity on my old post. I haven't tackled the family research for a few years. Reigns 1989 Christopher Carr was my Grandmother's father, my Gt Grandfather. I was delighted over the years, with the help of another rootschatter to find his grave in Deansgrange Cemetery and put a plaque on it. When he died there was probably no money for a headstone.

I could never get a handle on Susan Farrell and ciderdrinker's post has given me renewed incentive to dust off my old records and start over.

I didn't start my research until a bit too late. My mother and all her family were dead and I had no reference to follow up for Susan
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 January 20 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Christopher Carr and Susanna Farrell's marriage says he was a bachelor.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1878/11110/8066837.pdf
It also gives a date of 21 of September but otherwise appears to be the same marriage mentioned above.
Note one of the witnesses is Mary Farrell

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 January 20 17:10 GMT (UK) »
That is the correct marriage Sinann. I must have put the incorrect date on my first post!!

I haven't got my records available at the moment but I traced a first marriage to an Elizabeth McGuinness and a subsequent birth of a son Patrick. Elizabeth died and Christopher appears to have gone back to Liverpool for a little while leaving Patrick with the McGuinness family in Thomastown. I had no one to verify this first marriage with so maybe it was incorrect assumption. My grandmother never mentioned a Patrick Carr.
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 January 20 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Susan died 1893 age given as 37 (which may be incorrect, death ages often are)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1893/06003/4708435.pdf
so born about 1855.

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 January 20 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sinann that is the correct death for Susan. My great Uncle James was just a baby at the time and my grandmother and the other girls helped to rear him.
I have all the birth and death records for all Christopher Carr's children but I was always intrigued about the family of Susannah Farrell his wife.
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 January 20 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Comparing the two marriages
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1872/11297/8144635.pdf
Christopher makes his mark on the marriage to Elizabeth and he is working for the railway as a plate layer which may have been a temporary labouring job.
Father is a Seaman on first marriage and a sailor on second.
Could be the same man, the only way to tell I think is finding out if there are two James Carr sailors with sons Christopher in the same area at the same time.