Author Topic: Robert Evans born c1862 Caernarvonshire - trying to find his 1st wife and family  (Read 2102 times)

Offline Blueboy007

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello all. Robert Evans married my great grandmother Catherine Anwyl on 14th May 1889 in Dolgelly. He is potentially the father of my grandmother, Maggie Jane Anwyl, who was born on 1st November 1888 (no father listed on the certificate). From the 1891 census onwards Maggie used the surname Evans.

The marriage certificate between Robert and Catherine shows that he was a widower, aged 27 and a general labourer. He was living in Barmouth. His father is recorded as being Robert Evans, deceased, who was a lead miner. The 1891 census states that he was born in Caernarvonshire, aged 31 and a labourer.

I have not been able to find Robert in the 1871 or 1881 census records. I have not been able to track down the name of his first wife either.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or provide some tips as to where I might find Robert?

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Turner - Caernarvonshire, Denbigshire, Merionethshire, Shropshire & Staffordshire
Craig - Glasgow and Co. Antrim
Evans - Merionethshire & Caernarvonshire
Williams - Caernarvonshire & Merionethshire
Neeson - Co. Antrim
McCormick - Glasgow
Costello - Glasgow

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Evans born c1862 Caernarvonshire - trying to find his 1st wife and family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 September 17 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

I see that on the 1891 census, there is a son Griffith, aged 8, b. Barmouth. Would that be his son or Catherine's?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Blueboy007

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Evans born c1862 Caernarvonshire - trying to find his 1st wife and family
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 September 17 10:06 BST (UK) »
Morning Gadget, that is Catherine's son. I ordered the birth certificate and no father is listed on this one either. Evan Anwyl's birth certificate shows Robert Evans as the father though (this child died on 27th March 1892). The other children were Ellen Anne Evans, born 12th March 1893, Samuel Evans born 18th January 1896 and Evan Anwyl Evans, born 6th April 1900. The birth certificates for these 3 children all show Robert Evans as the father.

Stephen
Turner - Caernarvonshire, Denbigshire, Merionethshire, Shropshire & Staffordshire
Neeson - Co. Antrim
McCormick - Glasgow
Costello - Glasgow

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 September 17 10:09 BST (UK) »
I've just found your earlier thread and will read through it carefully. It seems that there are various twists and turns in this family's history.  I'll do some searches and see if I can find anything new. 

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=774769.0

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Blueboy007

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 September 17 10:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Gadget, as always you are very helpful and generous with your time. I really appreciate it, it has been driving me batty for the last 10 years!

Stephen
Neeson - Co. Antrim
McCormick - Glasgow
Costello - Glasgow

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 September 17 10:26 BST (UK) »
I think this might be his baptism. The 1901 has him born Beddgelert

Beddgelert 2 May 1862
Robert Evans
Parents - Robert, quarryman,  and Anne of Tanychiw

Not found a first wife so far.

Offline Blueboy007

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 September 17 10:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Gadget, that is very helpful. I really appreciate it.
Neeson - Co. Antrim
McCormick - Glasgow
Costello - Glasgow

Offline Blueboy007

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 September 17 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Gadget, do you know where he was in 1901?
Neeson - Co. Antrim
McCormick - Glasgow
Costello - Glasgow

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 September 17 10:56 BST (UK) »
Info form here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=774769.msg6284737#msg6284737

There was only one Evan Anwyl Evans born in 1900 - mmn Anwyl - but he is on the 1901 census in Penrhyndeudraeth, Merionethshire with his full name:

Robert Evans   37      Carrier       born Beddgelert, Caernarvonshire
Mary Evans 33                            born Anglesey
Evan Anwyl Evans 1                    born Harlech, Merionethshire
Elizabeth Jones  60   relative
(on Ancestry Evan's second name transcribed as Annie but clearly Anwyl on original page)