Author Topic: George Urquhart's Look up/help needed  (Read 4279 times)

Offline woolamai

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Urquhart's Look up/help needed
« on: Sunday 03 September 17 21:39 BST (UK) »
Could anyone find my 2 missing George Urquhart's
I have George born around 1821 who  married Janet Robertson on 9th May 1846 in Dunfermline. He has a son Robert Urquhart was born in 1854 in Dunfermline. I'm not sure whether there are 2 families with George Urquhart's at the time or whether he keeps moving/changing occupations/changes the name of his wife from Janet to Jessie. I can't find him in the later years or his death.

The second George Urquhart was born on 20th March 1881 in Dunfermline, Fife. He married Jessie Wilson Penman on 10th February 1905. George appears on the 1881, 1891, 1901 census living in Dunfermline. Then goes missing as does his wife. I know what happened to their children (they emigrated to Australia), but not sure about them. There is a South African connection, but can't find their deaths.

Would really appreciate some help with my 2 mysterious George's!
Urquhart, Penman, Duncan, Snell, Benallack, Denning, Amor, Bishop, Jones, Thomas, Hordley, Hall, Titley, Ellis

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: George Urquhart's Look up/help needed
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 September 17 22:24 BST (UK) »
I know what happened to their children

As he married in 1905 - he presumably had children born before the 1911 census so have you looked in 1911 for the children?

Janet & Jessie are interchangeable in Scotland

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 September 17 22:45 BST (UK) »
I can't find him in the later years or his death.

In 1871 he is in Dunfermline - son Robert still with them

Dunfermline Burgh ED 5 Page 3 Line 12

No trace of either George or his wife in 1881
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline woolamai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 September 17 08:54 BST (UK) »
I think this is the same George, but I may have 2 different George's mixed up
1851 Cambell Street, Dunfermline aged 28 as a hand loom weaver
1856 George Urquhart: East foundry street, Dunfermline : carter - tenant and occupier
1861 census at Pilmuir Street, Dunfermline aged 40 as a general labourer
1871 living at Foundry Street Dunfermline aged 49 as a carter
Then I can't find him or his wife

Then I have 1909 The Directory For Dunfermline, Inverkeithing and Naval Base George Urquhart, 51 Golfdrum a factory worker. Not sure who this is, maybe George's son George??

The later George - I don't think I have access to the 1911 census. Would be great if anyone can find him or his wife. I think I have him getting on a boat Dunluce Castle in 17 Apr 1914 but this is just G Urquhart as a "guard". I have the rest of his family getting off a boat on 9th December 1913 landed in Southampton from the RMS ship Saxon of the Union Castle Line from Durban, South Africa there was Mrs Jessie Urquhart aged 32, May aged 7, Robert aged 5 and Wilhemina aged 1. Ship departed from Natal. They were third class passengers. Country of last permanent residence Union of South Africa. At this point there is no sign of George, and after this record I can't find Jessie either, but the 3 children are on a boat to Australia in March 1928 without either parent.
Urquhart, Penman, Duncan, Snell, Benallack, Denning, Amor, Bishop, Jones, Thomas, Hordley, Hall, Titley, Ellis

Offline woolamai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 September 17 09:04 BST (UK) »
These are the children's details if anyone can find this family in 1911
Mary Wilson Urquhart known as May christened 13th August 1905, North Church, Dunfermline
Robert Mathieson Urquhart   born 02 Mar 1907, christened 19 Sep 1909
Wiliamina Jessie known as Ina born 1914   (can't find birth or christening details)

Robert emigrated to Australia with his sisters (Ina and May) in March 1928. Their route took 5 weeks. They were 3rd class passengers.  The ship was the Orama of the shipping line Orient. The departure date was 3rd March 1928. The ship departed from the Port of London. The ships captain was Captain C G  Matheson. There were 1087 passengers aboard.  Their address given on the passenger lists was 36 Rodney Street, Edinburgh. Robert (20) and his sister M.W (22) were listed as shop keepers as profession. No profession for WJ (14) (too young) . Family legend has it that they travelled via the Cape Horn as they couldn’t afford the quicker Suez canal route.

I don't know why they were in Edinburgh before departing and if this can help to track down what happened to their parents. Family legend has it that George Urquhart went to South Africa as a mine inspector and died in a mine collapse, but I can't find anything other than the shipping to support this. Family thought that his wife Jessie travelled with the children to Australia, but I can't find her on a ship, nor is she living with them when they arrive in Australia, so I think she stayed/died in Scotland maybe.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 September 17 09:10 BST (UK) »
Have you tried Scotlands People this could be a possible death for his wife 1878 Dunfermline age 63
Janet Urquhart other name Robertson Ref 424/196 ...Might be worth a check

Rosie

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 September 17 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hi all ,

Looks like Jessie Wilson Penman/Urquhart remarried in 1924 to David Cuthbert Marshall(Edinburgh).

Jessie may have travelled under the surname Marshall.

ev

Added -
There is a death for a David Cuthbert Marshall , age 75 ,  1955  George Square Midlothian.
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 September 17 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi all ,

Looks like Jessie Wilson Penman/Urquhart remarried in 1924 to David Cuthbert Marshall(Edinburgh).

Jessie may have travelled under the surname Marshall.

ev

Added -
There is a death for a David Cuthbert Marshall , age 75 ,  1955  George Square Midlothian.

Snap  ;D

Offline woolamai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 October 17 20:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this. It hadn't occurred to me that she remarried. She still doesn't seem to be on the ship to Australia, so presumably the children went on their own - Wilhemina was only 14. I can't imagine how that must have been for the family.
Can anyone find Jessie's death in Edinburgh - presumably as Jessie Marshall.