Author Topic: James and Catherine Creagan  (Read 2906 times)

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
James and Catherine Creagan
« on: Monday 04 September 17 10:24 BST (UK) »
My 3x great grandparents are James Creagan (Creegan/Cregan) and Catherine Heaney (Hany/Haney/Heeney) - already you can see the research nightmare beginning. They were both born in Ireland, James around 1830 and Catherine around 1836, and married in London on 3 August 1857 (that certificate I have tracked down on ancestry.com). By 1858 their first daughter Margaret is born in Bacchus Marsh, Victoria, Australia (I can't find the birth record at all), but the next few children James, William, Mary and Catherine are all easy to find, with detailed birth certificates giving all sorts of consistent information.

After this the going gets tougher. An older relative of mine Geoff, researching the family pre-internet days, has James dying in New Zealand about 1867, another daughter Georgina being born on 4 October 1868 in Addison's Flat, Buller, and Catherine Heaney dying on 8 February 1925 in Westport. Geoff's work is really detailed and accurate (I am spending most of my time simply verifying his research), and I know that Georgina (Creagan, Stack then Gibson) really exists and was born in New Zealand, but I can't verify any of the details in this paragraph. No birth record for Georgina, no death records for Catherine Heaney or James Creagan, and this is searching both Australia and New Zealand sources.

When I ask questions here, rootschat members are brilliant at finding sources I never knew existed, and filling in details above and beyond the initial question (I always learn a lot about how to research), but these people really are elusive. I assume that my relative Geoff was also fooled by James Creagan's death, but he is really specific about the other information, giving dates and places, and I can't find sources at all.  So my questions are, what sources can be found for Georgina's birth date, Catherine's death date, and what happened to James?
Smith: East Lothian, Scotland
Mack: Berwick, Scotland
Fell: Yorkshire, England
Smeeton: Leicester, England
Haigh: Marsden, Yorkshire, England
Sullivan: Kerry, Ireland

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James and Catherine Creagan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 September 17 10:35 BST (UK) »

Which of the CREAGAN / HEANEY children is your ancestor?

What BDM details do you have for this ancestor?

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 September 17 10:44 BST (UK) »
Mary Josephine Creagan is my ancestor. I have her birth, marriage and death certificates. The birth certificate is 27 Dec 1862 in Bacchus Marsh, (Victoria BDM - Event registration number:179 Registration year:1863), and from that I got the fact that her parents were married in London.

She married Henry Sullivan in Reefton (NZ BDM 1877/2558), which is pretty young to be marrying, and died in Kerepehi in 1932 (NZ BDM 1932/2110). All the certificates are on my ancestry site. The marriage certificate is of no use, as it doesn't give any names for parents even (might have been useful to verify that James was deceased by then), and the death certificate gets names totally wrong.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 September 17 10:47 BST (UK) »

I am not sure what you are wanting to confirm.

Do the two marriage records, NZ, enable you to confirm Georgina to be a child of this family?.

Lack of birth record is hardly a problem...happened all the time.......

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 September 17 10:52 BST (UK) »
I guess that the marriage record may do this - as Georgina is not my immediate relative, it is of more academic interest to verify her birth date, and I haven't bothered to pay the fee for this one! But the death dates of the other two are mysterious, and they are my direct relatives. By 1925 I would think that death records were carefully kept.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 September 17 10:58 BST (UK) »

BDM NZ marr
1877/2558   Mary   CREGAN  m. Henry SULLIVAN

Can you give all the details on this certificate...everything please.

Mother Catherine might have remarried...not died as CREGAN.

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 September 17 11:02 BST (UK) »
Quote from: zumaro
They were both born in Ireland [...] Catherine around 1836

Catherine Heaney dying on 8 February 1925

Hello...

For what it's worth, a 1925 death would make Catherine 89 years old.

There is an 89 year old Catherine MULLIGAN who died on 8 Feb 1925

BDM NZ
1925/726 - MULLIGAN, Catherine - 89Y - d.o.d 8 Feb 1925

---

Catherine MULLIGANS's probate file says that she is the mother of Margaret HEALY, Catherine HALL and (presumably) the above-mentioned Georgina GIBSON

Archives NZ
Catherine MULLIGAN - Westport

http://tinyurl.com/yator8a3

---

Quote from: zumaro
what sources can be found for Georgina's birth date

As the family is from Ireland you might ask for a look-up on the Catholic Diocese of Christchurch baptism index CD. Some of the West Coast is covered. I think Buller/Reefton is included but don't quote me.

And if you've not seen it...

Death certificate for Georgina GIBSON
http://tinyurl.com/y9nqjycl

Regards
Beg

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 September 17 11:30 BST (UK) »

Mary is very young at marriage, 1877. Who gave permission for her to marry...who are the witnesses?

"...and the death certificate gets names totally wrong."

Can you list all the information, including the totally wrong information.......definitely include the totally wrong information please....everything...informant...burial details.......

If Catherine is around and lives to 1925 she will likely go to live with an adult daughter, and be buried in that town. So later lives, burial details of her children are important.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 September 17 11:57 BST (UK) »

Use familysearch.org to find Will for Catherine MULLIGAN d. 8 Feb 1925 Westport....names daughters Margaret HEALY, Catherine HALL and Georgina GIBSON.....

Margaret HEALY..."I was born in Victoria"