Author Topic: Netherton or Nedderton  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
Netherton or Nedderton
« on: Monday 04 September 17 14:09 BST (UK) »
Putting meat to the family bones as we all love to do, I found a 3rd great uncle William Pyle a miner living with his family in Netherton at the time of the 1871 Census. A quick search for the village had me in North Northumberland, I knew this to be wrong and soon further research had me around Bedlington and in Nedderton. Purely from an interest point of view can anyone advise when and why Netherton Village and Netherton Colliery as they are shown on the 1st edition ordnance survey and at least up to the 3rd edition in 1920 became Nedderton; or am I missing something obvious? Cheers
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Netherton or Nedderton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 September 17 14:26 BST (UK) »
Nedderton (near Bedlington), is not to be confused with Netherton (near Rothbury), which lies 23 miles north-west of Nedderton. Both villages were once known as 'Netherton'; the name 'Nedderton' was adopted to stop the confusion, but Netherton Hall and the former Netherton Colliery relate to Nedderton, rather than Netherton! https://co-curate.ncl.ac.uk/nedderton-northumberland/

The name seem s to have been changed between 1950 and 1960

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 September 17 14:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you Stan ;D
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

Offline Eggy1948

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 14:32 BST (UK) »
Netherton changed to Nedderton to for postal purposes. The streets/rows of houses where the local colliery was retained the name Netherton Colliery. Extract from Kelly's Trade Directory of 1910.

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 September 21 12:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Eggy, appreciated. :)