Author Topic: Huguenots in Antrim, Down, Dublin? Devay, Dauvoy, Duvoy, Devoy, Devoye  (Read 1201 times)

Offline AJM.KZN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Huguenots in Antrim, Down, Dublin? Devay, Dauvoy, Duvoy, Devoy, Devoye
« on: Monday 04 September 17 16:23 BST (UK) »
I have been fortunate to be able to trace all lines of my husband's and of my family back to the 1400/1500 (England) with exception of one Irish/Scot line.

A David Devoy (b @ 1821 or 1812) in Ireland came to Stoneykirk around 1825-30 and married Helen Rennie (of Scotland).  His parents on his death certificate are listed as Percy Devoy and Margaret Glen.

A Samuel Devoy (b @ 1811) in Ireland came to Stoneykirk around 1825-30 and married Elizabeth McChlery (of Ireland).  His parents on his death certificate are listed as Price? Devoy and unknown.  In the earliest record of Samuel, his name is spelt "Dauvoy."  And in all the records of my family, the spelling is DeVoy or devay or devoy.

There was one other Devoy in Stoneykirk but the records are light and the names recorded show in the Catholic church records.  Samuel and David's records are in the COI register.  Since Percy married a Margaret Glen (Scot lowland clan) in Ireland, I have made the assumption that they were in Ulster or some place with Presbyterians. 

Devoy is a common Norman name from the 11th century but my grandmother (born in Scotland) had always told me that they were Huguenots.  The only instances where I can find Glens and Devoys in the same place are either Newtownards (and surrounding) but the records are not available on-line pre-mid-1800's.  This area was heavily settled by Huguenots and Ulster Scots.

In East Skerry, from Tithe Applotment records, I have found a Percy Devay in East Skerry, Newton Crommelin 1833.  There are many Glens in that area as well.  This is the only probable record in Ireland that I have been able to find.

Here is my question... Devay is a common French name.  And although there are Percival (differing spellings) Devoys that show up In England and Wales, they are all much too late and I cannot trace them back.  Is there a likelihood that the ancestor's name was Pierre Devay?  Or even Pierre Devoye?

I have access to find.my.past, rootsireland.ie, etc., "Huguenots of Lisburn", "Huguenot and Scots Links 1575-1775", etc.

Can anyone please suggest an avenue to research?  I have hit a dead-end.  If the Pierre Devay, Devoye seems worthwhile, I can back up my research into France.  While London has many records, none of them are fitting the right time period or they lived their entire lives in London, etc.  I have not found anything in Dublin.

We are traveling to Scotland for pleasure soon so I could stop at Canongate.  In the Spring, I plan to come out to Northern Ireland to do some research.

Thank you!
Ann

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Huguenots in Antrim, Down, Dublin? Devay, Dauvoy, Duvoy, Devoy, Devoye
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 September 17 16:56 BST (UK) »
The difficulty as far as Irish records go is that not all records survive and of those that do not all are online. Therefore, there may be no trace of your ancestor in records that you are finding here.

In addition, you might have multiple spellings of the surname (as you've already found).

I wouldn't assume they were Presbyterian in Ireland- Church of Ireland and other Protestant denominations probably just as likely.

Your best lead is probably tracing the Percy Devay in East Skerries that was in the Tithes-
http://www.billmacafee.com/182030stithe/tithenorthantrimrevisionnamespdf.pdf

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline AJM.KZN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 September 17 17:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Aghadowey, I do have the document http://www.billmacafee.com/182030stithe/tithenorthantrimrevisionnamespdf.pdf.  This is where I was able to locate the Percy Devay name. 

How do I research beyond this?  Do I go to the parishes in East Skerry?  Write to them?  How does one find the records before 1833? 

Thank you

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline AJM.KZN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 September 17 01:28 BST (UK) »
Ahh.  I can see that Skerry records are held locally BUT they go back to BMD.  Horray!  Thank you!!! I'll make a trip there to see them...