Author Topic: Huguenots in Edinburgh / Scotland? Devay, Dauvoy, Duvoy, Devoy, Devoye  (Read 2371 times)

Offline AJM.KZN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Huguenots in Edinburgh / Scotland? Devay, Dauvoy, Duvoy, Devoy, Devoye
« on: Monday 04 September 17 16:40 BST (UK) »
I have been fortunate to be able to trace all lines of my husband's and of my family back to the 1400/1500 (England) with exception of one Irish/Scot line.

A David Devoy (b @ 1821 or 1812) in Ireland came to Stoneykirk around 1825-30 and married Helen Rennie (of Scotland).  His parents on his death certificate are listed as Percy Devoy and Margaret Glen.

A Samuel Devoy (b @ 1811) in Ireland came to Stoneykirk around 1825-30 and married Elizabeth McChlery (of Ireland).  His parents on his death certificate are listed as Price? Devoy and unknown.  In the earliest record of Samuel, his name is spelt "Dauvoy."  And in all the records of my family, the spelling is DeVoy or devay or devoy.

There was one other Devoy in Stoneykirk but the records are light and the names recorded show in the Catholic church records.  Samuel and David's records are in the COI register.  Since Percy married a Margaret Glen (Scot lowland clan) in Ireland, I have made the assumption that they were in Ulster or some place with Presbyterians. 

Devoy is a common Norman name from the 11th century but my grandmother (born in Glasgow) had always told me that they were Huguenots.  There is one early Devoy in Scotland.  A Helen Devoy Canongate 1672 but then nothing until my family's records.

In Ireland, the only instances where I can find Glens and Devoys in the same place are either Newtownards (and surrounding) but the records are not available on-line pre-mid-1800's.  This area was heavily settled by Huguenots and Ulster Scots.

In East Skerry, from Tithe Applotment records, I have found a Percy Devay in East Skerry, Newton Crommelin 1833.  There are many Glens in that area as well.  This is the only probable record in Ireland that I have been able to find.

Here is my first question... Devay is a common French name.  And although there are Percival (differing spellings) Devoys that show up In England and Wales, they are all much too late and I cannot trace them back.  Is there a likelihood that the ancestor's name was Pierre Devay?  Or even Pierre Devoye? 

And my second... I have read that the Huguenots were few in Scotland except Edinburgh but how do I research the DeVoys at from 1672 to 1800?  It is possible that they left Scotland and came back?  After the Helen Devoy of 1672 Canongate on Scotlandspeople, there is nothing until my relatives.

I have access to find.my.past, rootsireland.ie, etc., "Huguenots of Lisburn", "Huguenot and Scots Links 1575-1775", Scotlandspeople, and have been reading the history on the waves of Huguenot exoduses, Scotland lowland industry, famines, etc.

Can anyone please suggest an avenue to research?  I have hit a dead-end.  I have tried every spelling of Devoy but am not clear how far off Devoy might be from Devereux (for example) even though I know French.  If the Pierre Devay, Devoye seems worthwhile, I can back up my research into France.  While London has many records, none of them are fitting the right time period or they lived their entire lives in London, etc.  I have not found anything in Dublin.

We are traveling to Scotland for pleasure soon so I could stop at Canongate.  In the Spring, I plan to come out to Northern Ireland to do some research.

Thank you!
Ann

PS I have also posted in the Ireland forum

Offline Foxlea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Huguenots in Edinburgh / Scotland? Devay, Dauvoy, Duvoy, Devoy, Devoye
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 October 17 10:38 BST (UK) »
I am looking for more information on the Huguenots in Canongate, Edinburgh.

A great aunt did a family tree back to Nicolas Deschamps (spelt in many different ways) but I don't have any primary sources to back up her tree. He was in Edinburgh in the 1660s and is mentioned as being brought over from France with Nicolas Dupin to work as a papermaker. Where would the archives from this time be held? Is there a papermaking archive/museum that might hold the key?

Any ideas of where to start my research would be most welcome.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 October 17 11:41 BST (UK) »
Foxlea, I think your first step is to compare the tree your aunt compiled with the indexes at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. It's also advisable to view the original documents, but there is a (modest) cost involved with this.

There are not a lot of archives that go as far back as the 1660s, but you can search for them in the catalogues at http://www.scan.org.uk/index.html.

I am not aware of a papermaking museum anywhere in Scotland, though it's a long time since I worked in papermaking and there could be one. Not that there are all that many paper factories left now. However https://scottishprintarchive.org/ may be of interest.  It has a information on papermaking archives in the 'Allied Trades' section.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Foxlea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 October 17 11:55 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your quick reply - I'll have a look. I might need to send an email to https://scottishprintarchive.org/ to see if they can help.