Author Topic: left it to late  (Read 459 times)

Offline belleek

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
left it to late
« on: Monday 04 September 17 17:02 BST (UK) »
hello, im from northern ireland and just ha
d my 60th birthday, now i start looking for info on my father, im interested to find his war record, all i know is that he served in the raf, ground , transport crew, he was at some stage in Singapore, he was stationed in st Angelo airfield in co Fermanagh, NI, thats where he met my mother. his name was Thomas,Elwyn , Chivers, i know not a lot to go on, he was born in Risca, Crosskeys, Wales, my father passed away when i was 6 years old, the only other thing i know he had a sister called Peg, regards to all, any pointers will help  :)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Russian" John
    • View Profile
Re: left it to late
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 September 17 17:28 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.  :)

Your father's service record will be with the MOD but you can order a copy, details here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=652166.0

It can take a few months but should give you lots of useful information.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 September 17 17:40 BST (UK) »
To get you started , look for index AIR 78 in the National Archive; it is online and free to access.

That will give you  "Chivers, Thomas Elwyn"  and his RAF service number 1162323.

Good luck with the search........ "It's never too late...."  :)
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline belleek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 September 17 20:07 BST (UK) »
thank you so much, i am still going in circles on air 78, however will keep at it, you have given me hope, regards elwyn

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton,Manchester.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 September 17 03:07 BST (UK) »
Thomas Elwyn Chivers b 1920 ? Sister Margaret Doreen Chivers b 1924.  Mothers maiden name Smith.

Parents Harold Chivers and Ethel May ?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline belleek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 September 17 07:38 BST (UK) »
hello, thanks for email. i am going to have to consult with my sister Joan, but i will come back to you asap, i have a feeling your on right track, regards Elwyn

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton,Manchester.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 September 17 07:51 BST (UK) »
I have sent you a private message.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk