Author Topic: Untangling the Holt Family - Buckinghamshire  (Read 1668 times)

Offline riholt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Untangling the Holt Family - Buckinghamshire
« on: Monday 04 September 17 19:41 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to link up William Holt of Crowell (buried 1758/58 - wife Deborah Dutton) to his relations in Buckinghamshire to try and prove his parentage.

At the one of his marriage in 1705 he was described as a Blacksmith of Longwick in Princes Risborough.

I have the BucksFHS baptisms and marriages from 1629 to mid 1800's and burials from 1649 to mid 1800's for the surname.

It looks like the early family came from Dinton and were there from at least 1680 from land records and marriage settlement records (catalogue search results at the National Archives and Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies). The family of Ephraim Holt held land in Hatfield, Hertfordshire as well as in Buckinghamshire.

The will of Robert Holt dated 1741 provides the link with this family but there are still lots of missing connections. It looks like he may have been the son of Simon Holt  and Ann (buried 1724 in Cuddington) - there's a baptism in Cuddington dated 14 Feb 1678, Robert son of Simon Holt.

In his will he lists my two direct ancestors William Holt, Elder (his cousin) of Crowell and Richard Holt, William's son. He also lists William Holt Jnr.

He lists some other relations:

Samuel Holt of Waddesdon - his cousin - who was baptised at Waddesdon ages 28 on 10 Jun 1718 - so born c.1690.

Ann Saxby - his cousin - Anne Holt of Princes Risborough married Thomas Saxby of Stone on 21 Feb 1738 - licence - recorded in Princes Risborough but said 'married at Horsenden'. It looks like they died without having children but I'm not sure - Ann died in 1774 and Thomas in 1768. It looks as if Thomas may have been baptised 1795 in Stone son of John. There's another marriage to Elizabeth Babham 14 Mar 1721 in Weston Turville and a burial for an Elizabeth Saxby 2 Oct 1737 at Stone.

John Whittmill - his cousin - I'm not sure of a connection here. It could be a cousin from his mother's side or his fathers side but I haven't got a marriage for Simon Holt and Ann.

Jane Darvill - his cousin - same as for John Whitmill.

Frances Goodwin - his niece - here my assumption is that Frances' mother was a Holt - a 'blood' niece. It might be that she was a niece by other means. A Frances Goodman marries in Aylesbury on 5 Feb 1751 to Joseph Huckshaw/Hackshaw - both of Haddenham married by licence. Frances age 24 (b.1728), Joseph age 22 (b.1730). One record lists the marriage as 1752.

There is a Frances Goodwin bap. 25 Feb 1726 in Long Crendon - dau. Richard and Elizabeth. It may be that she was related through Robert's third marriage to a Frances who came from Long Crendon (mentioned that she brought her furniture from that place to the current residence).
Richard Goodwin married Elizabeth Wignes/Wigins on 9 Apr 1723/24 in Long Crendon. I have no marriage for Robert Holt to Frances.

Robert married three times:

1: to Sarah buried 24 Jan 1707 in Cuddington - possible marriage: Robert Holt of Addington to Sarah Shrimpton of Addington 6 Apr 1702 in Aston Sandford.

2: to Sarah West in Wotton Underwood 23 Nov 1710 - he was a widower of Dinton - she was o.t.p.

3: To  Frances who came from Long Crendon

Samuel and Robert were both listed as 'of Dinton' at various points. The Princes Risborough Holts look like they also connect to Dinton.

I haven't managed to connect the parents of these cousins to help prove the family line. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Samuel, Robert and William Snr., were all blacksmiths.

I think they connect to an older generation of Holt's (probably parents/uncles of these three cousins), namely Ephraim Holt of Dinton d.1730, William Holt born c.1747 buried 24 May 1735 age 88 at Princes Risborough (has a son named William baptised in 1678, contemporary with Robert) and Simon (wife Ann? bur. 1724).

I've been looking at my notes and family groupings too much! Any new insight?

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
Re: Untangling the Holt Family - Buckinghamshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 12:51 BST (UK) »
Princes Risborough PR's confirm Anne Holt of Princes Risborough married Thomas Saxby, who is widowed I think. But the only marriage I see at Horsenden is this one, and the only Holt occurence in Horsenden.?

Marriage - 6 Apr 1752. by Licence
Scott HOLT.
Eliz SLATER of Bledlow.

Either the BucksFHS Horsenden CD is wrong, or there is an error in Princes Risborough.  A small error nether the less, but still an error.

There are also earlier records in Bledlow for Holts/Haults, starting 1590.

That being this baptism.

Feb 28 1590. Henry son, of Edward Holt.

These marriages may be of interest at Bledlow.  But I guess you already have them

11 Oct 1773. William Darvill & Sarah Halt. by Banns.
11 May 1774.  William Turner & Hannah Halt, by Licence.

I would also recommend, going through the Bonds list, looking for Female Holt marriages., which may hold more clues.

Steve. :)

Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline riholt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 18:28 BST (UK) »
I think the marriage for Thomas Saxby and Anne Holt was just recorded at Princes Risborough for some reason rather than Horsenden - your correct, it's not in Horsenden records.

Scott was the son of Samuel named in the will so he is also connected.

I'm wondering if the pre 1629 records for baptisms and marriages, and pre 1649 records burials might shed a little more light. I have read that if there was a marriage settlement that this was considered as legal so a marriage may not appear in parish records. There was clearly a 1680/86 settlement, as records survive, but no entry in the transcribed Bucks records.

It's also strange that these Holts, some clearly were owners, did not leave a will. Scott did in 1765 but it's very general and not as helpful and Robert did whose will seems more helpful - it's only a case of getting other records to match up and iron out the creases - which is looking more difficult.

These two records:

D 130/3
D 130/29

Show that:

William Dossett Jnr. to marry Winifred Holt dau. of William Holt of Dinton.

An Ephraim Holt is also named in these settlement records - so may be an uncle or other relation - it's unclear.  There's an Ephraim Holt also in Dinton.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 18:47 BST (UK) »
I would suggest you get any Bucks baptism, marriage & burial records, as far back as you can, and see if they bear fruit.

Anything that is obviously missing, will be further afield, as in Oxfordshire. Luckily, I think, that maybe the case, as Dinton etc. are closer to Oxfordshire than any other county.

Question; What is the nearest Village or Town, in your Buckinghamshire records for Holt, do you have in the direction of London.
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.

Offline riholt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 20:42 BST (UK) »
Oxfordshire seem pretty sparse on Holts connected to this family - I have a full list of transcriptions from OFHS. They turn up in Crowell and later in Chinnor but it looks like these are descended from the Holts of Dinton.

My direct line moves from Chinnor to High Wycombe around 1850 where they set up a number of businesses in the furniture industry - G.Holt & Son, Holt Brothers, J.Holt & Son - to name a few.

The Buckinghamshire roots seem to spread from the nucleus of Dinton - and then to surrounding area such as Princes Risborough. These places feature most: Cuddington, Waddesdon and Haddenham.

The earliest marriage that seems to be of this same family is in Winslow - 5 Feb 1657, William HOLLT to Winifrit HUNTE both of 'Denton'.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 23:42 BST (UK) »
The marriage of Robert Holt of Addington to Sarah Shrimpton of Addington, although 'of Addington', no Holts or Shrimptons in Addington PR's, but that's pretty close to Winslow.

Any land records for Addington for the Holts or Shrimptons.

Steve. :)

Offline riholt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 October 17 15:59 BST (UK) »
So I've discovered a few more of the puzzle pieces:

Robert Holt's (b.1678 d.1741) first wife, Sarah Shrimpton, was daughter of Samuel Shrimpton and Dorothy (NO BAPTISM YET OR OTHER DETAILS). Samuel was of Cuddington at the time of his will (dated 1714).

Robert's third (and last) wife was Frances Goodwin of Long Crendon. The Frances in his will was her niece, dau. of Richard and Elizabeth Goodwin.  I don't have a baptism for her at the moment.

It looks as if Robert's father, Simon Holt, died in 1740 Haddenham. And his mother Ann died in 1724 Cuddington. Looks as if he they only had the one son, Robert. This Simon is described as a Blacksmith of Westlington in Dinton. The Simon who was birdied in Dinton in 1708 is also described as 'Blacksmith of Westlington'. I'm wondering if this is Simon Snr.? There are two transcriptions from the parish records (one possibly BT's?), one naming this earlier Simon as Robert, I'm wondering if he was also known as Robert. This definately isn't straightforward.

If the baptisms for the wives are found I may have a comparable date for Simon (Jnr?). The Simon Holt (Snr?) seems to have been a copyholder in Winslow like the older William - both end up in Dinton.