Author Topic: Olive Maber, Bristol, Date needed  (Read 1439 times)

Offline lrashford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Olive Maber, Bristol, Date needed
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 13:35 BST (UK) »
Also an Olive Maber married Robert H Strudwick in 1941, in Croyden.

She was Olive P Maber -probably this one
Birth June qtr 1915 
Olive P Maber    mmn Baxter   
W.Ham    4a   867

Free search on 1939 register brings up Olive P Strudwick  (Mabe?) bn 1915 -Croydon C.B

Yes, I don't think this is the same Olive x
Ashford - Somerset, Bristol, Witham Friary

Barrett/Treeweek - Bristol, Somerset, Cornwall

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 13:49 BST (UK) »
When is she supposed to have married this other man.  Is the daughter you mention a child of him or another marriage.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lrashford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 15:55 BST (UK) »
When is she supposed to have married this other man.  Is the daughter you mention a child of him or another marriage.

The daughter is from the marriage of Olive Maber and Albert French Donovan. Albert was from the British Virgin Islands.
I was speaking to the daughter on Skype the other day and she mentioned the photo I attached in this thread. We can't work out who the man is and she was curious if her mum had married before because in her opinion her mum looks like a bride here. She said that her Uncle's (her mum's brothers) had warned off another gentleman she was engaged to because he was no good. The daughter is wondering if they were more than engaged.

I was just wondering if anyone could see that Olive Maber had married anyone before Albert Donovan :)

I believe that in the photo Olive is dressed as a bridesmaid. For reference I've attached my own grandmother's wedding (she was the niece of Olive) where her and her bridesmaids are both wearing bridal dresses. My Nana (the bride) is on the left and the bridesmaid is on the right.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 16:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the explanation  :)
I wonder if your first picture could possibly be 'Best man & chief bridesmaid'  :-\

There does not seem to be any evidence that she was previously married.  I would doubt that she would have had all those guests if the wedding was not approved.  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 22:35 BST (UK) »
I don't think she is the bride, the style of dress and headdress  is more typical of a bridesmaid than a bride and the guy she is with looks to be a bit older than her, so I would agree with Rosie's suggestion.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline lrashford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 02:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the explanation  :)
I wonder if your first picture could possibly be 'Best man & chief bridesmaid'  :-\

There does not seem to be any evidence that she was previously married.  I would doubt that she would have had all those guests if the wedding was not approved.  ;D

Thank you Rosie and teetotal!