Author Topic: Higgs of Trysull possible family connection?  (Read 1692 times)

Offline blackcountry man

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Higgs of Trysull possible family connection?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 13:15 BST (UK) »

Hi Trish,

Thanks for checking Trish.

I'll keep chipping away  ;D

Regards
Adrian

Offline mutchall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 September 17 09:57 BST (UK) »
I found the will of Elizabeth Higgs of Trysull dated 1825 and she mentions her children including Elizabeth but annoying it doesn't state any married names.

Anyone else researching the Higgs of Trysull or anyone any ideas on I could progress further?

According to FindMyPast there's an entry for Elizabeth Higgs (of Trysull) in the Index to Death Duty Registers for 1825. I haven't checked the image for the references. But if you or someone else can, then that should lead you to entry amongst the original registers themselves, which should give the full names of the beneficiaries of the will and occasionally other info not present in the will itself.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/death-duties-1796-1903/
https://www.genguide.co.uk/source/deathestate-duty-records-wills-including-scotland-amp-ireland/91/

Offline RachelK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 00:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Adrian,

I am a Higgs descendant from the Trysull line and think you are probably right that your Elizabeth is part of this family. I don't have info on her in my tree other than the 01 Feb 1776 christening, (daug. of Joseph Higgs and Elizabeth Cornes) I had not found a marriage or a death. I have done quite a bit of research although probably plenty of mistakes! Will send you a link to my online tree.

The 1793 burial as established was not Joseph's wife, or his daughter. It could be his sister (ch.17 Feb 1750) who I have no further info on. His mother was also named Elizabeth, this is why it gets confusing. I don't have anything on her either other than the last name Tilley.

You have on the marriage for John Stafford/Elizabeth Higgs a witness named William Wooley. There is a connection with this name a long way back in that Joseph's great grandfather Stephen Higgs was married to a Sarah Pratt b1645, both from Trysull. Sarah's father Henry Pratt mentions a granddaughter in his will dated 1698 named Sarah Wooly. This may just be coincidence as it is a hundred years prior to the marriage.
Staffordshire - Kendrick, Higgs, Ralph, Mears, Egginton, Simkiss, Beebee, Hartshorn, Pitt, Howard, Law, Hilton, Humphreyson,
Worcestershire - Kendrick, Onions, Timmins, Harvey, Stephens, Hill
Shropshire - Williams, Wilcox, Moreton, Poole, Gennoe, Stedman, Astley, Morris, Roe
Carmarthenshire - Naylor
Montgomeryshire - Williams, Wilcox
Middlesex - Silver, Martin
Suffolk - Chenery
Somerset - Owen, Chorley, Rugg
Lancashire - Evans, Silver