Author Topic: Are there Records pre 1560 re Robert and Marie callow  (Read 2916 times)

Offline SeekingPeace

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Are there Records pre 1560 re Robert and Marie callow
« on: Tuesday 05 September 17 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi I am new to family history so forgive my ignorance, I have traced the kerruish callow family line from Australia back to Robaert Callow IN 1545 but cannot find parents for him or his spouse .My question is where would there be record of this if any?
Kind regards

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Are there Records pre 1560 re Robert and Marie callow
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 14:42 BST (UK) »
Do you know in which parish he was born?

The excellent Manxnotebook website says:
Although by 1538 the Manx Church had come under York, the first parish registers date from 1598 - the earliest being that of Ballaugh followed shortly afterwards by Jurby and Michael.

http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/famhist/genealgy/church.htm
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat  ;D

Parish records started in I o M  from 1538 and most in reality didn't begin until 1600s, although many are not available, damaged, lost and they are generally records you need to use for family history research, of course there are other potential records although in the main they do not connect people so it makes it difficult to prove ancestry and FH research is about proving. Only a tiny percentage of real records are online for any country, so that makes it very difficult

http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/famhist/genealgy/church.htm
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline SeekingPeace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 13:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you for both the information and the link, I keep hitting blanks about that time (1500s)so that would explain it.
Kindest regards

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 September 17 21:20 BST (UK) »
for a newcomer that is some achievement as the earliest parish records are c.1607 with most parishes only from late 17th as earliest
if you have managed land records of this period double congrats.

Callows, the name is often associated with Maughold, but as Manx Christian names tend to be selected from a very small
 pool of names it is extemely easy to trace the wrong tree - added to which there are often serious gaps in all Manx parish records

There are land records back to very late 15th C (+ some newly found wills + lease from around 1580) but not all the Island property falls within their remit.
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline SeekingPeace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 September 17 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi I am a true beginner I have taken all the information from other family trees without checking the sources I will look deeper into it the only thing I have from Robert Callow is a reference to a museum for a death certificate in 1670s . Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 September 17 16:38 BST (UK) »
what makes you think the Robt Callow who died 1676 is your ancestor?
There is no will/decree I can see (there would have been if he had children or land) -
nor does the transcribed burial register give any additional info eg farm name
I have transcribed land records for Maughold from 1599 to 1702
and there is no obvious change in land tenure that would occur if Robert owned land.

Please treat any tree on Ancestry that does not quote sources or include a good argument as to connection
as pure fiction - too many newcomers knowing nothing about the Island records merely find a couple of matching names
and assume that they are the same person

What is your 1st known Callow (ie one for which you have some documentary evidence) that links back to the Island

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 September 17 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi I am a true beginner I have taken all the information from other family trees without checking the sources I will look deeper into it the only thing I have from Robert Callow is a reference to a museum for a death certificate in 1670s . Thanks for the heads up.

Worse possible thing you can do is copy and paste from online trees, ONE wrong person and you are just name collecting, so have a tree of unrelated names. You need to view online trees as  just copy and paste from other online trees, not researched, no sources and invariably wrong.

Start again from yourself and the records you already have at home and  in the homes of your living relations and prove each person from real records. Otherwise you could find that the 'research' you are trying to now do the people are nothing to do with you at all.

Just a personal account when I began the internet didn't exist, so I learned to research properly and was taught to prove each person. The first time I saw an online tree it was on a religious owned website and the person posting it lived a couple of miles from me, supposedly part of 'my' family so I wrote to them. I thought I had the wrong person in my tree, they never answered and I started again back to the records office and the parish church and  researched that line all over again, same results, so wrote again explaining and offering copies of real records to prove the correct line and received a letter back basically they had copied it from the IGI( collected/donated and unchecked information, now called 'CD collections' and used too much as a 'record') and they said they 'knew' it was correct, however if I sent a copy of my tree they would donate it as they were a member of the church ( I declined to do that as adding real information to rubbish doesn't help others).
Since then there are thousands on 'online tree' websites ALL and EVERY ONE of that line online tree are simply copied, none are researched and proved, ALL are wrong. So it doesn't matter how many times you see an online tree showing the same thing it doesn't mean it is correct, much more likely just copied.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 September 17 20:52 BST (UK) »
once you have determined your link back to the Island you could try posting a query on
http://www.isle-of-man.com/genealogy/messageboard/index.pl
as George Callow is fairly regular poster on that board and he must have spent well over a decade
researching Callows (no guarantee however that his branch matches yours) - I would trust his research as he quotes sources