Author Topic: Marriage - Dean Parish, Cumberland - 1783  (Read 1508 times)

Offline bigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Marriage - Dean Parish, Cumberland - 1783
« on: Tuesday 05 September 17 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It there any possibility someone could look up the parish records for Dean Parish, Cumberland, for the marriage of a John Irving and Sarah Ritson on 3 March 1783?

They are my 4x great grandpaents and I reached the 'brick wall' regarding John, as I have no information on him.

They had a daughter, Elizabeth, bapt in 1783, and a son John (my 3x great grandfather), bapt 23 Dec 1787 at Dean, before the family headed to Scotland.

I am hoping the marriage may have some details of parent(s) and where John resided at time of marriage to go further back.

I did trace the burial of a Sarah RITTSON in 1831 at Closeburn Parish, Dumfries-shire. No trace of a John Irving (Irvine) though.

Thanks

Tom

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage - Dean Parish, Cumberland - 1783
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 22:27 BST (UK) »
I am hoping the marriage may have some details of parent(s) and where John resided at time of marriage to go further back.

Unfortunately - marriage entries for that period contain very little really useful info which may help to advance your research.  This is a rough guide to what you can expect.
Fathers names were not shown on marriage entries prior to 1.7.1837 which is the date when Civil Registration was introduced.  Mothers names are never shown on English marriage certs
Occupations were not shown

All you will get will be on the lines of the following - some of which you may already know

Names, date and venue

Spinster/bachelor - or widow/widower
Age = Full (over 21yrs) or Minor (under 21yrs)
Of this parish (OTP) - does not necessarily mean they were both born in that parish - just that they satisfied the short residential qualifying time required to enable them to marry there (approx 3wks)

The name and signature of the person marrying them plus the signatures of the 2 witnesses (occasionally more than 2 witnesses but not usual)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline bigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 22:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info CaroleW.  Would there be any benefit going for the baptisms of the 2 children?

Tom

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 22:53 BST (UK) »
All the baptismal entries will give you are the parents names, possibly fathers occ and possibly their address.  They won't give you any details of John & Sarah's parents.

Very basic info on baptismal entries
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline bigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 September 17 21:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks CarolW.

Need to do a rethink.  All I know about him was that he was a gardener.

Thanks again.

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 September 17 15:43 BST (UK) »
Checked the the Dean records for the marriage for you and as Carol says there were no parents on the record. it said both of this parish.

John and Sarah were married by banns which were read on Feb 16th and 23rd and March 2nd.  There were two witnesses - Jeremiah Head and Peter Robinson.

Not much help I'm afraid.

J
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 13:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for doing the lookup J, greatly appreciated.  Back to the drawing board as the saying goes.

Tom