Author Topic: The Elusive Stewards  (Read 2084 times)

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
The Elusive Stewards
« on: Tuesday 05 September 17 18:18 BST (UK) »
I was hoping that now Buckinghamshire PRs were on Find My Past I could find my elusive Stewards but no such luck.

My great grandfather William Cross was born and baptised in Steeple Claydon in 1813 the son of Richard ( Blacksmith ) and Ann.

Richard Cross married Ann Steward in Marsh Gibbon in 1803 their first child Elizabeth being baptised there later that year.

They lived in Steeple Claydon. Ann died before 1841 so no census records for her. In 1851 shortly before his death Richard was said to have been born in Marsh Gibbon, I am not convinced by that my thoughts are that Ann was from there.

There are other female Steward marriages in Marsh Gibbon. Amy 1779, Sarah 1785 and Mary 1796 and according to a tree on Ancestry there was also Susannah.

Are all these from the same family? If so who were the parents? Why can't I find any baptisms or burials?

Like I say I was hoping I might be able to answer some of these questions with the PRs
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Elusive Stewards
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 10:48 BST (UK) »
There is a publication of the Bucks Record Society:

The Buckinghamshire Posse Comitatus 1798

In Marsh Gibbon, page 115, there are:
Labourers
James Steward
John Steward (lame)

And in Great Marlowe Borough, page 231, there is
Servant
George Steward

http://www.bucksrecsoc.org.uk/BRS-VOLUMES/brs-vol-22.pdf

Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 11:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, I have looked at Posse Comitatus before and I tried the other day but for some reason I couldn't get it to open on my current laptop.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 12:01 BST (UK) »
There are some christenings of Stewards at Marsh Gibbon on Familysearch, for example:

Anna Maria Steward, christened 5 October 1771, parents Charles Steward and Jane.
Pontifex - Bucks

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 12:46 BST (UK) »
Anna Maria was my first choice but she died in 1781, that burial is on Find My Past.

Like I said they are elusive.

The other scenario I thought of was that Ann was widowed when she married Richard but I can't seem to find a possible earlier marriage for her.

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 13:37 BST (UK) »
How about this? This is also from familysearch:

James Steward and Ann had two children at Marsh Gibbon:

Thomas Steward, christening 19 Nov 1797
James Steward, christening 2 June 1799

And this burial at Marsh Gibbon:

James Steward, burial  21 February 1799

Pontifex - Bucks

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 13:42 BST (UK) »
Vance That looks promising, just on my way out, back later.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 14:05 BST (UK) »
I'm going to sound like an old cracked record. ;D

One of the better places to find the records you require, especailly pre 1837, is BucksFHS.

I don't know what sort of records FindMyPast hold, is it the originaal images, or transcripts.

All I can say is, BucksFHS will always give all the details in any given record from the parish registers.

Ask BucksFHS, as I'm sure that FindMyPast is not yet complete.  But never having looked, I wouldn't know.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 15:21 BST (UK) »
Steve I have used the Bucks FHS one name records in the past with success.

I wanted to try and find out more about the Stewards if I could before getting info. from Bucks FHS.

Now if Ann wasn't a Steward by birth it wouldn't be worthwhile.

The Anna Maria mentioned earlier was the daughter of Charles and Jane Steward so I looked to see if I could find any more children elsewhere.

I have found James 1766, Susannah 1765 and Mary 1769 all children of Charles and Jane Steward al
l baptised at Sandford St Martin Oxon.

Looks promising but still no marriage for James to an Ann.

Added    Sandford St Martin is 17 miles  from Marsh Gibbon and I have found on other lines many Ag. Labs were on the move around 1770 because of the Enclosure Acts