Author Topic: The Elusive Stewards  (Read 2083 times)

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
Re: The Elusive Stewards
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 15:53 BST (UK) »
Was Ann Steward a widow when she married Richard Cross, or have I missed something.?

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 15:56 BST (UK) »
Another  look at Sandford St Martin shows baptisms for Amy 1759 and Sarah 1760 children of Charles and Jane.  Looks like the family is complete.

Steve To answer your question I don't know whether Ann was a widow.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 16:17 BST (UK) »
Does it not say in the marriage.?
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 16:23 BST (UK) »
Not on Find My Past it is only a transcription with only names and dates and I can't put my hands on the Cross records I had from Bucks FHS.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

Online Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 16:37 BST (UK) »
Another route might be the will of John Cross of Steeple Claydon, yeoman, in 1808.

You didn't mention earlier generations, but if this was Richard's father he might mention children by the previous marriage.
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 16:39 BST (UK) »
That's one to get from BucksFHS.....it will, or should give if a widow or not.

I have used Anc. Bucks record transcripts.....and in all cases of the marriage, there is no suggestion of Widowed or Widow, witnesses or otherwise.
I know for a fact, that some of my rellies married 3 times, and some twice, but that never shows in Anc. transcripts.  Plus the fact, there are children from all marriages.

I have the Parish Regs CD's from BucksFHS, which shows those facts.

Good luck, and good hunting. :)

Steve. :)

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 21:01 BST (UK) »
Right mainly for myself I am listing what has been found in the last couple of days so I can see where I am.

Charles Steward married Jane Tims in Bucknell Oxon. in 1759

They baptised Amy 1759 and Sarah 1760 in Bucknell.

They moved to Sandford St Martin Oxon here they baptised Susannah 1765, James 1766 and Mary 1769.

They then moved to Marsh Gibbon where they baptised Anna Maria in 1771 she died in childhood.
Amy, Mary, Sarah and Susannah all married in Marsh Gibbon.

The Posse Comitatus in 1795 shows a James Steward  labourer living in Marsh Gibbon and A James and Ann Steward baptised 2 sons  Thomas 1797 and James 1799.

James was baptised June 1799 and there is a burial of James labourer in February 1799.

So problems.

When and where did James marry Ann?

Was the Ann Steward who married Richard Cross in Marsh Gibbon in 1803 the widow of James Steward?

Was she the daughter of Charles and Jane? If so where and when was she baptised?

Or was she some else?

ADD I missed one Steward daughter out Elizabeth baptised in Sandford St Martin 1762.