Author Topic: Thomas Bowler, about 1795, yorkshire  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Harpsun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Bowler, about 1795, yorkshire
« on: Tuesday 05 September 17 20:04 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to find birth details, in yorkshire,  for my 3xgreat grandfather thomas bowler. I have his birth as 1795, but have not found a record to verify this date. The only birth which might be his is 1793 at Aston, Yorkshire his parents being George & Abigail Bowler.
Thomas married Mary Hare at Burneston on 20 dec 1823, they had four sons, George, the first born, was my 2xgreat grandfather. Thomas was a gamekeeper when George was born. He then became a publican, firstly at Leeming, then at the Black Lion inn in Boroughbridge. He died in Boroughbridge in 1835, and was buried there on 23 July 1835.
I would appreciate any comments to help me with  this, many thanks.
Bowler, Bridges, Delve, Elliott, Ford, Hare, Hargreave, Hewitt, Kellett, James, Mitchell, Pritchard, Smith, Wilson

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Bowler, about 1795, yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 22:13 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.   :)

I have asked a moderator to move this to the Yorkshire board as you have posted on the wrong board.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 08:11 BST (UK) »
Lets start and view where this Aston is.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Aston
Early records are at Sheffield archives if anyone fancies a trip.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 08:20 BST (UK) »
Baptism - Aston cum Aughton - 8 September 1793

Thomas, son of George Bowler, Wheelwright.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 08:40 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to find birth details, in yorkshire,  for my 3xgreat grandfather thomas bowler. I have his birth as 1795, but have not found a record to verify this date.

His burial record for Aldborough nr Boroughbridge gives his age as 40. As he was buried in July there is about a 60% chance he had his birthday for that year, but he could have been born late 1794. All this depends on accuracy of the informant. Did his wife survive him? There is a marriage for a Mary Bowler of B'bridge by lic to a David Stephenson in Aldborough in 1837. No mention of marital status. No cert just old style record - married before 1 July 1837.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Harpsun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 20:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply to the above subject.
Mary did marry David Stephenson on 27 March 1837 in the parish of Aldborough. Although I can't confirm David's death, Mary married Thomas Houseman on 15 Feb 1844, as a widow, at Berneston.

]
I have been trying to find birth details, in yorkshire,  for my 3xgreat grandfather thomas bowler. I have his birth as 1795, but have not found a record to verify this date.

His burial record for Aldborough nr Boroughbridge gives his age as 40. As he was buried in July there is about a 60% chance he had his birthday for that year, but he could have been born late 1794. All this depends on accuracy of the informant. Did his wife survive him? There is a marriage for a Mary Bowler of B'bridge by lic to a David Stephenson in Aldborough in 1837. No mention of marital status. No cert just old style record - married before 1 July 1837.
Bowler, Bridges, Delve, Elliott, Ford, Hare, Hargreave, Hewitt, Kellett, James, Mitchell, Pritchard, Smith, Wilson