Author Topic: James Cartwright  (Read 1717 times)

Offline jackie hubbard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Cartwright
« on: Tuesday 05 September 17 21:47 BST (UK) »
I have hit a brick wall with James Cartwright, born about 1771. I believed he was born in Warwickshire but, on closer examination of the 1841 Census, it appears there is an N next to his name in the Born in the County column. James married Maria (Taylor) Bartholomew at St. Martin, Birmingham in 1822. In 1841, he was living on Bread St., Birmingham. He died in Birmingham in 1847. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Cartwright
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 22:39 BST (UK) »
The GRO index gives the death of a James Cartwright aged 66 in Birmingham in 1847,giving a birth date of approx 1781,despite the 1841 census giving 1771.It doesn't help the fundamental problem though.It would still make him 40+ at the marriage to Maria.It's possible he may have been married before-but equally difficult to find.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 22:48 BST (UK) »
The nearest 1781 birth I can find to Birmingham is Brierley Hill Staffordshire,or for 1780 in Darlaston,Wolverhampton,both on FamilySearch.

Regards
Roger

Offline jackie hubbard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 01:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Roger. I did find a Death Certificate for James Cartwright, d. 17 May, 1847. Age at death: 76.  He was living on Cregoe St., Birmingham. Present at Death: John Cartwright  (son). Yesterday, I found a James Cartwright, b. 1771, in the UK, Royal Hospital, Chelsea, Regimental Registers of Pensioners Who Served in Canada, 1713-1882. This James Cartwright, who was also a Cordwainer, was b. in Burrington, Herefordshire, abt. 1771. Unfortunately, I am having trouble reading it and cannot attach it for you to look at. However, I would appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 23:52 BST (UK) »
I have seen a record for that James Cartwright but there are no details that would help.I did wonder whether there may be some family naming tradition to help.The son John has sons Daniel and George,but I can't find a strong fit for either of these as a father of James.I haven't traced Emma.There is so little to go on I'm not sure what basis to use for searching other than the date which then makes it difficult to confirm any connection,as I'm sure you know.The same issues apply to finding a connected will.

Regards
Roger

Offline jackie hubbard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 September 17 01:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Roger. I, too, have looked at the names and find no connection. Considering the fact that James was over 50 when he married, I would have thought he would have named his first son after himself. When I first looked at the 1841 Census, I thought he was born in Warwickshire. However, it now appears that what I thought was a Y is an N. He died before the 1851 Census, so it really is a dead end. Regards, Jackie.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 September 17 09:55 BST (UK) »
Not necessarily.Are there any recorded witnesses recorded at the 1822 marriage who may be related?
Also,there is a newspaper snippet of 1831 recording the dissolution of a partnership between a George Souter and William Cartwright,button makers of 14 Bread Street.James' son John ks given as a button maker in the 1841 census so perhaps William was family.I can't find him on the 1841 census.A very long shot has a William Cartwright dying in Birmingham(though in Princess Street) in 1833 aged 71,therefore born approx 1762-a reasonable date for a brother of John?
I'll look to see if I can find a common parentage for a William(1762) and John(1771).

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 September 17 10:54 BST (UK) »
On reflection William(circa1826) is unlikely to be he son of William(1762),but it  is still worthwhile looking for a family with John(1771)and William(unknown) as brothers.

Regards
Roger

Offline jackie hubbard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 September 17 19:26 BST (UK) »
The witnesses to the 1822 Marriage are William Fisher and Mary Tinsley. Interesting about the button maker/Bread St. connection. In the 1841 Census, John is an Apprentice Button Maker -- he later became a Bedstead Maker and then a Cabinet Maker-- and the family is living on Bread St. (No. 1).