Author Topic: WADDINGTON, John - from Cotton Spinner to Watchmaker?  (Read 1320 times)

Offline John Platt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: WADDINGTON, John - from Cotton Spinner to Watchmaker?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 October 17 15:57 BST (UK) »
Jane - I have a pocket watch which has the movement marked JOHN WADDINGTON FARNWORTH' 'No 5116'.  Three images attached.  The hallmarks on the case are for Chester, date letter 'w' which is 1860/61.  I am pretty certain that the case and the movement are the original pairing i.e. the watch is not a marriage.
I came across your posting when I was researching this watch to try to establish whether the 'Farnworth' was the 'Farnworth' near Bolton or the 'Farnworth' near Prescot Lancashire.
It is possible that the watch was made by someone in their late twenties.  The number 5116 - does not mean he has made 5115 previously - the basis of the numbering on early watches is not fully understood so I would not use the number as any indicator.
In your posting of the 6 September 2017 you say that 'sometime between 1868 and 1871, John became a watchmaker'.  Unfortunately it looks like the person who made my watch made it around 1860.  Now it's also possible that there was a John Waddington in Prescot Lancashire who made it.  I haven't checked any census records nor trade catalogues for the district yet.
Thought I would let you know all this as sometimes research can be nudged one way or another on the tiniest bit of information.  JGP 

Offline OzJane

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: WADDINGTON, John - from Cotton Spinner to Watchmaker?
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 October 17 03:39 BST (UK) »
WOW John, thanks so much :)  I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to post. A real link with the family past.
It seems like John Waddington was nearer Bolton but as a 'foreigner' my knowledge of Lancashire is virtually non-existent outside maps.
I've double checked my research and the 1860/61 date for your watch, on the face of it, doesn't seem to match. But the one thing I've learned in family research is that what seems odd two hundred years later makes perfect sense for the time.
John was still identified as a 'Spinner' on the parish baptism records (thanks Lancashire OPC)  of his children: William (1865); Thomas (1866); and Ellen(1868). There could be dozens of reasons for this. I've also checked whatever Directories I can find but no mention.
It occurred to me that there might be a grandparent/uncle/sibling involved in the clock/watchmaking industry or a neighbour, so again have rechecked but no leads there. Will keep on keeping on though!
As you say, the tiniest piece of information helps and I'm really grateful for the images of a 'family' watch.
Jane
DOWN/ANTRIM: May
DOWN: Morgan, Perry, McKnight
EDINBURGH:  Drysdale
HEREFORDSHIRE: Southan
LANCASHIRE: Waddington, Southan
LONDON Kempe, Whitby
SOMERSET Loxton