Author Topic: Christ Church bells will ring tonight commemorating Pte George Potter  (Read 1744 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Christ Church bells will ring tonight commemorating Pte George Potter
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 19:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you JenB, for these additional interesting posts.

The yellow dot map really highlights the magnitude of loss and how moving and heartrendering the last words of Robert Hogg -

"My poor wife, my poor bairns". :'(

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 21:21 BST (UK) »
What a lovely way to remember and honour him.
He fought in one of the worst battles of WW1 in conditions probably the worst of the whole Western Front.
Even before the autumn rains fell the area was  inundated as the dykes were ruined in the continual bombardment, also an elderly Belgian opened  the coastal sluice gatesas soon as Germany invaded so that at least some partof Belgium would not be in enemy hands.
This meant every trench dug acted as a drain.
We`ve seen the pictures, men and horses ,gun carriages etc sunk in deep.
What madness,utter inhumanity and from their own top brass.
Quote from a WW1 veteran.                         
Four men in a railway carriage.
One said"We ought to introduce ourselves, I am general Brown"
Second, " am General Smith"
Third, " am General Jones"
Fourth,"I am a sergeant and I have three illegitimate sons, all three are generals"......!
That is from "Last Post "memoirs of the last few WW1 veterans like Harry Patch and Henry Allingham.
 Viktoria.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 September 17 09:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your post Viktoria and the anecdote.  I agree
that sending men and animals out like this to what in many cases would have been almost certain death was total madness and inhumanity by their top brass. :'(

www.newsguardian.co.uk/news/north-shields-bell-rember-fallen-comrades-100-years-on-1-8730081

dandn.awardspace.co.uk/new/greatwar.html
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner