Author Topic: 6 September 1917, George R Potter, age 32, Lancashire Fusiliers  (Read 1064 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
6 September 1917, George R Potter, age 32, Lancashire Fusiliers
« on: Wednesday 06 September 17 14:12 BST (UK) »
Private George R Potter, who was killed in action on 6 September 1917 will be commemorated today.

He was a Whitley Bay man and a former bell ringer at Christ Church, North Shields.  Tonight in his memory, the Christ Church bells will ring at a half muffled quarter peal for 45 minutes.

His Service number was 275089 and he is buried at Tyne Cot Cemetery.

He is not a relative of mine but I am posting to honour his memory and to let any of his ancestors know that he will be honoured today at his former Church.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 6 September 1917, George R Potter, age 32, Lancashire Fusiliers
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 20:41 BST (UK) »
What a lovely thing to do.
He`d be in the battle of Passchendaele. I might have seen his grave on one of my many visits.
All WW1 cemeteries are lovely, peaceful and bright ,not gloomy at all;
Is there any particular reason why he is being so remembered------
apart from the fact that he fought in one of the worst battles of WW1in the worst conditions along the whole front line.
Thanks for telling us, he`ll be well remembered as everyone who
 served ought to be.
Do you know any details of his service etc?

Viktoria

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 21:11 BST (UK) »
Is there any particular reason why he is being so remembered------

He was a bell ringer at that church, see http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=778446.msg6323721#msg6323721
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 September 17 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Viktoria & JenB,

Many thanks for your posts.  I have added another link, (hopefully I have done this correctly) which gives more information.  I don't know anything of his service details, unfortunately.

It is good to know that the war cemeteries are lovely peaceful and bright.  I have several people in my family tree who were killed in the Great War.  My great uncle John Conroy was gassed and was brought back to England and he is buried in a war grave at Sacriston in Durham and my Grandfather's cousin, called Jacob Conroy, was killed in the battle.  Perhaps you may have passed his grave when visiting there Viktoria.

Sorry, there has been a delay in my response to your posts.  I am now on several nightshifts and this is why I have just got to read these.

www.newsguardian.co.uk/news/north-shields-bell-ringers-to-remember-fallen-comrades-100-years-on-1-8730081
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner