Author Topic: Seeking Leonard (RT?) McNaught born 1880 Newcastleton Roxburghshire  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seeking Leonard (RT?) McNaught born 1880 Newcastleton Roxburghshire
« on: Wednesday 06 September 17 19:56 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I am trying to find the birth, death or any record of this person other than the 1891 census where he is living with his father John McNaught and mother Alison in Islington, London.
Calow Clowne, Eaton, Bott, Derbyshire, Airey, Cleasby, Cannon, Willis, North Yorkshire, Kelk, Ogley, Sharp, Gillot, Jillott, Ibberson, Littlewood, Watson, Eyre, Townend, Booth, Ambler, Hanson, Kenyon, Sellars/Sellers, Yorkshire, Skidmore, Parker, Nottinghamshire, Walker, Earl, Howard Cambridgeshire, Halden Milwich Staffordshire and Brent Pelham Hertfordshire,

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Leonard (RT?) McNaught born 1880 Newcastleton Roxburghshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 20:26 BST (UK) »
Image shows Leonard A then possibly T

Given the ages of John & Alison could he have been born under a different surname?

Alison died 1897 aged 52

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 22:15 BST (UK) »
Good point, but they married in 1873 so he was born late into their marriage, you would expect other children.

Yes Alison died in 1897 and John in 1896 so Leonard was orphaned young, he may well have gone abroad, but where was he in 1881 and where was his birth?
Calow Clowne, Eaton, Bott, Derbyshire, Airey, Cleasby, Cannon, Willis, North Yorkshire, Kelk, Ogley, Sharp, Gillot, Jillott, Ibberson, Littlewood, Watson, Eyre, Townend, Booth, Ambler, Hanson, Kenyon, Sellars/Sellers, Yorkshire, Skidmore, Parker, Nottinghamshire, Walker, Earl, Howard Cambridgeshire, Halden Milwich Staffordshire and Brent Pelham Hertfordshire,

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 22:42 BST (UK) »
How does Leonard fit into your FH as that can sometimes help.  My gut feeling is that he was an "adopted" child rather than their own
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for not responding I must have got distracted at the time. Looking at this again with a little help it seems that your hunches were right Carol.

It is most likely that Leonard was in fact Leonard Rae Turnbull born in Newcastle UK (not Newcastleton) he is in the 1881 census with his widowed father, William Turnbull and maternal Grandmother.

It seems the McNaughts took him on for some reason but after they died he returned to live with his father and his new wife Caroline and can be found there as a Turnbull in 1901. His father moved to London too and is actually there with new family in 1891 so not sure of the reasons for estrangement from Leonard.

A lot of co-incidences and Leonard Mc and Leonard Turnbull are never seen in the same place/census.

Only niggle is I can’t prove the relationship between Alison and William only that they aren’t siblings.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the Great War record of Leonard Rae Turnbull born Newcastle 1881  which is on Findmypast?  Has details of his 1904 marriage and subsequent children.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Jopeg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes thanks, found both, he lived until 1958 I believe rather than disappearing from the earth. Seems he was only related to my family by marriage and this was distant family too! However I have connected with McNaught relations so wanted to find out what I could for them.