Author Topic: James RUSK born abt 1800 Northern Ireland; info prior to 1838?  (Read 611 times)

Offline BCsandra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James RUSK born abt 1800 Northern Ireland; info prior to 1838?
« on: Wednesday 06 September 17 21:59 BST (UK) »
I am looking for background information on a JAMES RUSK, born about 1800 in Northern Ireland. Unfortunately, I have no further info on him such as exact birthplace/town/county or any names or occupations of his parents or siblings… :-[

I have been told he served in the Imperial Army at Gibraltar where he met and married Mary Ann Magill, the daughter of an Irish soldier and Spanish mother, and that they emigrated to Canada about 1843 and settled in Cavan Township, Durham Co., Ontario.

I have found a marriage record for a James Rusk and Mary Ann McGill [sic], not in Gibraltar but in Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

St. James Cathedral, Toronto, Ontario - 12 May 1838, by license, James RUSK, of the township of Cavan, in the district of Newcastle, bachelor, sergeant in the Queen's Own Militia, and Mary Ann McGILL, of the city of Toronto, spinster.  Witnesses, Samuel McGILL, Joshua REYNOLDS.

I have also found Pay Records for a Sgt. James Rusk (as well as a Samuel Magill) in the Canada, British Army and Canadian Militia Muster Rolls and Pay Lists, 1795-1850 on Ancestry, but as the records do not show age or birth date of either of these men I am not 100% they are the correct people.

Based on Canadian Census Records from 1861 on wards; they did reside in Cavan Township, Durham, Co., Ontario, and James & Mary Ann Rusk had 10 children (5 boys, 5 girls) of which 3 sons ended up in Saskatchewan, 4 daughters ended up in USA, and 1 son stayed in Ontario.

I have also found that Mary Ann Magill Rusk died in Michigan in 1904 and shares a headstone with two of her daughters and their husbands.  I have yet to find a death date for James Rusk, but based on Census records believe he died prior to 1891 and assume in Ontario.

Ideally, I am looking for any suggestions/hints/pointers as to where I can search online for James Rusk's birth date and birthplace and finding the names of his parents and siblings would be a bonus… … or is it all just a hopeless search…. ???

Thanks in advance… :)
BCSandra

Bedfordshire - Carver
Dorset - Salmon
Isle of Man - Keith, Kelly, St. Clair
Lancashire - Keith, Carver, Salmon
Staffordshire - McLachlan
Yorkshire - Carver, Stout, Coates, Keith