Author Topic: James Rusk b. abt 1800 N Ireland - Queen's Own Militia in Gibraltar & Canada?  (Read 282 times)

Offline BCsandra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James Rusk b. abt 1800 N Ireland - Queen's Own Militia in Gibraltar & Canada?
« on: Wednesday 06 September 17 22:32 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on a JAMES RUSK born about 1800 in Northern Ireland, who was a member of the Queen’s Own Militia. I have found Pay records for a James Rusk in the Canada, British Army and Canadian Militia Muster Rolls and Pay Lists, 1795-1850 on Ancestry, showing him to be a part of the Provisional Battalion of Incorporated Militia or Queen’s Own, in 1838 and the 3rd Battalion of Incorporated Militia in 1839, all based in Canada (Upper Canada).

It has been mentioned that James Rusk was stationed at Gibraltar and that is where he met and married Mary Ann Magill, the daughter of an Irish soldier and his Spanish wife.

But I have found the marriage record of James Rusk to Mary Ann McGill [sic] in May 1838 in Toronto, Ontario…

St. James Cathedral, Toronto, Ontario - 12 May 1838, by license, James RUSK, of the township of Cavan, in the district of Newcastle, bachelor, sergeant in the Queen's Own Militia, and Mary Ann McGILL, of the city of Toronto, spinster.  Witnesses, Samuel McGILL, Joshua REYNOLDS.

So...I am looking for any suggestions/pointers as to where I can search online to prove/disprove this information about James Rusk being posted to Gibraltar, possibly find more details about how he happened to be stationed in Upper Canada in 1838-1839 as well as any documents when he signed up for military duty that might show his correct birth year, birthplace and/or family members…

Thanks in advance. :)
BC Sandra
Bedfordshire - Carver
Dorset - Salmon
Isle of Man - Keith, Kelly, St. Clair
Lancashire - Keith, Carver, Salmon
Staffordshire - McLachlan
Yorkshire - Carver, Stout, Coates, Keith