Author Topic: Robert ELLIOT(T), Fatfield, Co.Durham  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Aussiedescendant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert ELLIOT(T), Fatfield, Co.Durham
« on: Thursday 07 September 17 07:40 BST (UK) »
I am attempting to confirm any details relating to my gt gt gt grand parents Robert ELLIOT(T) = Jane ROBSON. I have a possible date of marriage as October 1806. 

My gt gt grandfather, also Robert ELLIOT who married Margaret Sutton was born in Fatfield c 1821 and died in the Sydney suburb of Hornsby in 1897. I am yet to confirm if this Robert ELLIOT had siblings; possible contenders are Michael Robson Elliot, Matthew Elliot, William Elliot, Anne Elliot, Jane Elliot and Mary Elliot.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert ELLIOT(T), Fatfield, Co.Durham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 September 17 14:03 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat :-)

Are you sure that the marriage for Robert Elliott and Jane Robson is the right one? I am not disputing it but it would be helpful to know that you are sure they are the correct people. Perhaps you have a document for their son which gives both his parents' names. Do you have his marriage cert from when he married Margaret Sutton? That would give you his father's name, occupation at that time and perhaps family members were witnesses.
If you aren't sure, let us know what information you have that led you to this particular marriage.

If it is the right marriage for his parents, it was by Licence. Licence obtained on 1st October 1806 and the marriage took place at Chester le Street on 4th October 1806

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/list/?page=1&countryId=1986340

scroll down that list to the items for Diocese of Durham, the Calendar of Marriage Bonds and Allegations has a subsection when you open it for Marriage Abstracts which is where I got the info from.

next item down is the Marriage Bonds and Allegations, you will find the images (probably 2) for the bond and allegation in there.

Free Reg  https://www.freereg.org.uk   has a transcription of the marriage entry. A search for Elliott (and soundex in case its a single 't' in the entry) baptisms in Durham:Chester le Street brings up a list which includes the names you mention. Unlike Family Search, Free Reg transcribes all of the info in a register so you get any additional info available such as father's occupation, where they lived etc.

If you find names and dates that fit in, then go back to the list on Family Search and you should be able to find the Bishops Transcript register images - though its not searchable and you have to firkle through till you get into the right date range and then find the entry.

Hope that helps a little. Try the above and come back if you have other questions after seeing what's in the databases above.

Boo

Offline Aussiedescendant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 September 17 00:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your response and advice.
My gt gt grandfather Robert Elliot [Jnr] died on 9 Dec 1897 aged 76. His death registration names his parents as Robert Elliot [Snr] mining valuer and Jane Robson. It also records his place of birth as Fatfield Co. Durham.  He [Rbt Jnr] married Margaret Sutton in Toft Hill, Co. Durham when he was 28.

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 September 17 01:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Aussie,
 i have a Robert Elliott who has connections to Gateshead, Neilston and Ireland.
Do your Elliot[t] have any connection to these?

My line of interest - Robert Elliot bc 1797 Antrim? d. 1862 Neilston, m.1824 Neilston Agnes Harley - issue Jean Elliot b.1827.m.1850.John McLean - issue Robert Elliott McLean .b.1866 Gateshead.m.1898 Balwayn Vic. Ada Alice Werrett.

cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline Aussiedescendant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 September 17 07:08 BST (UK) »
G'day Jack
There is a mention of Michael Robson Elliot who died at Gateshead-fell, 10 Mar 1868 aged 18 years along with siblings Charles Sutton who died at Leadgate, 5 Sep 1871 aged 18½ years and William Arthur and Elizabeth Hannah who died in infancy.  But that is the only mention of Gateshead.
No mention of Neilston and Ireland; so probably not connected.

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 September 17 15:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Aussie,
 worth a try.
Happy Genie journey.

cheers
Jack
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.