Author Topic: Born in Yorkshire, died in Naples, buried where?  (Read 1114 times)

Offline Malcolm Bull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Born in Yorkshire, died in Naples, buried where?
« on: Thursday 07 September 17 10:49 BST (UK) »
I have a John Walker [1804-1830] whose family were big in Brighouse, West Yorkshire in the 18th/19th century.  He married Francis (Fanny) Esther Penfold in 1829, and died [19th January 1830] in Naples on their honeymoon.

I am trying to find out where John was interred.  One on-line source implies that he was buried in the family church at Lightcliffe (near Brighouse), but the church records don’t support this, and whilst his body may have been brought back to England (pickled in brandy, like Horatio Nelson?), there is no evidence to back this up.

My question is: where & how would I go about searching for burials of an Englishman in Naples, Italy in 1830?

Any advice / guidance would be appreciated.
Surname interests:

Huntingdon: Bull / Shelford
Rotherham: Andrews / Steel
Easingwold: Snowball / Potter

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Born in Yorkshire, died in Naples, buried where?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 September 17 18:06 BST (UK) »
There is a British Cemetery in Naples.....
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 September 17 18:11 BST (UK) »
In 1826, the British Consul, Sir Henry Lushington, bought land within the gardens of the church of Santa Maria della Fede for a Protestant cemetery. The cemetery was the burial place of the (mainly foreign) Protestants who died in Naples, although people of other religions ended up here as well.........I do not see his name as buried there.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 September 17 18:15 BST (UK) »
Can't find any reference in any Yorkshire paper of the time & no Italian papers on BNA. I wonder if anyone looking at this board has access to Naples death or church records or papers? It would have been an notably unusual occurrence - not only for an Englishman to die in Naples but to have been on his honeymoon.

Here's the cemetery Graham mentioned
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Cemetery,_Naples

snap iluleah!!
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 September 17 19:48 BST (UK) »
This list of burials at the "Old Protestant" cemetery has him:
http://website.lineone.net/~stephaniebidmead/protnaplees.htm

The source seems to be a list of inscriptions made in 1907 - he is number 39 towards the bottom right of this page:
https://archive.org/stream/s10notesqueries08londuoft#page/62/mode/1up/

Probably there was/is also a memorial to him at the family church which at some point got mixed up with there being a burial there.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 September 17 23:14 BST (UK) »
This list of burials at the "Old Protestant" cemetery has him:
http://website.lineone.net/~stephaniebidmead/protnaplees.htm

Ah jorose I saw that and failed to read the top "INDEX TO OLD PROTESTANT CEMETERY - NAPLES"  good job you are not asleep like me  ;D
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 September 17 23:50 BST (UK) »
I did mention the English cemetery in my response on the original thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=777990 but well done Jorose in finding the inscription - that had eluded me!
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Malcolm Bull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 September 17 08:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone.  That is a great help. 

There was indeed a memorial to John erected by his widow.  This was in the family church at Lightcliffe, but when the church was demolished, the memorial was moved to the (still remaining) tower.  I have a photo on my website at

www.calderdalecompanion.co.uk/ph6596.html

Thank you again

Malcolm Bull
Surname interests:

Huntingdon: Bull / Shelford
Rotherham: Andrews / Steel
Easingwold: Snowball / Potter