Author Topic: 58 Kensington, Liverpool- Was there ever a shop/sweetshop there?  (Read 573 times)

Offline pirhana

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
58 Kensington, Liverpool- Was there ever a shop/sweetshop there?
« on: Thursday 07 September 17 11:52 BST (UK) »
I have recently been told by an elderly relation of mine that a great-uncle of mine once ran a shop at 58 Kensington in Liverpool ( near to the junction of Kensington and Low Hill ). This was probably in the 1940s or 1950s. Although 58 Kensington appears to have more recently been a homes letting agency is there anybody who spent his/her childhood in or near Kensington during the 1940s or 1950s who may remember a shop once being there?

Pirhana.
Dinsdale ( North Yorkshire , Wolverhampton & North Wales) , Alderson ( North Yorkshire )Hill ( Toxteth ) , Morland ( North Yorkshire )  , Simpson ( Nathan- Lead miners North Yorkshire ), Walsh( Midlothian ), Webster ( Henry-Midlothian & Newcastle )

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 58 Kensington, Liverpool- Was there ever a shop/sweetshop there?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 September 17 11:57 BST (UK) »
It was a confectioner in 1938 (Mrs Rose Hill)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 September 17 13:10 BST (UK) »
I checked in my Kelly's directories for 1955 and 1958 and there is no listing in either for 58 Kensington.

Offline pirhana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 September 17 15:55 BST (UK) »
To ShaunJ, thanks for that information. It's interesting that you say it was a confectioner's in 1938 and was run by a Mrs Rose Hill.My great-uncle who I'm told ran the shop in Kensington was called Samuel Hill, although at the moment I'm not sure if there was any relationship between them ( Hill is a common enough name ).

Thanks, Pirhana
Dinsdale ( North Yorkshire , Wolverhampton & North Wales) , Alderson ( North Yorkshire )Hill ( Toxteth ) , Morland ( North Yorkshire )  , Simpson ( Nathan- Lead miners North Yorkshire ), Walsh( Midlothian ), Webster ( Henry-Midlothian & Newcastle )

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 September 17 16:18 BST (UK) »
You should check the 1939 Register. The name and address have not been transcribed as far as I can see so it's not too easy. Find 74 Kensington in the address search and look further up the page to schedule number 282 which is house number 58.

Here's the link if you have a FindMyPast sub:

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=tna%2fr39%2f4363%2f4363d%2f022&parentid=tna%2fr39%2f4363%2f4363d%2f022%2f44

Offline pirhana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 September 17 22:52 BST (UK) »
To ShaunJ, thanks for that.

Pirhana