Author Topic: Which Janet Young is mine? help with placenames.  (Read 1548 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Which Janet Young is mine? help with placenames.
« on: Thursday 07 September 17 15:06 BST (UK) »
When Janet Young married George Campbell in Perth in 1798, the OPR describes her as the daughter of David Young, a millwright in Caputh.

I've found 2 baptisms about the right time for a Janet Young, d/o David in Caputh:

1. 23 Aug 1767 - OPR describes David as in Mickle Burnbance
2. 27 May 1770 - OPR describes David as of Miln of Muckley

Unfortunately, no mothers are mentioned!

Janet's age at death in 1830 is described as 65, which would give her an approx. dob as 1765, making me think option 1 is favourite BUT Option 2 mentions 'Miln' which I believe is 'Mill' so perhaps that's favourite seeing as how father was a miller!

I can't find either Mickle Burnbance or Miln of Muckley on google maps so assume they are or were tiny places in the vicinity of Caputh.

If anyone can identify them, I thought they might just give me a further clue as to which Janet is mine.

Jill

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Which Janet Young is mine? help with placenames.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 September 17 15:30 BST (UK) »
Have been looking at http://maps.nls.uk but pages are slow to load at the moment.

ADDED: a millwright may not have necessarily lived AT the mill, only the miller....
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 September 17 15:39 BST (UK) »
Muckly is a farm 3/4 of a mile NW of Caputh.

Skoosh.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 September 17 15:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks, both

I've been on Scotlands People all afternoon (gosh, you can spend a lot of money on that site in next to no time!) and I think what I read as Burnbance is Burnbane: sometimes with a Mickle before it and sometimes not! Still can't find it though!

I assume Easter Caputh is just East Caputh? That's where a David Young was baptised in 1746 to James (still no mother's name - after all, its not as if they had much to do with the birth!!!). The Janet Young with her father David from Burnbane has a brother named James whereas the one from Muckley doesn't. For what that's worth?  ???

I've tried to sort this branch out before - a few times over the years, but never succeeded and usually ended up with a headache!

Jill
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 September 17 17:33 BST (UK) »
Still can't download from nls...

A map of the boundaries of Mill of Muckly:

National Records of Scotland
Reference   RHP40699
Title   Ordnance Survey 6 inch plan (Perthshire, LXII) marked to show boundary between Muckly and Fordie.
Dates   Late 19th century
Access status   Open
Location   On site (Sighthill)

and a reference on Canmore
https://canmore.org.uk/site/107886/mill-of-muckly

NRS again - MAY be correct Burnbane
Reference   RHP83253/1
Title   Plan of part of Murthly Estate showing deer chase and its severance by Perth and Dunkeld Railway
Dates   Oct 1857
Access status   Open
Access conditions   This record has been digitally imaged and will not be produced for readers. The digital images may be seen in the NRS Search Rooms on the 'Virtual Volumes' system.
Location   On site (Sighthill)
Description   'Perth and Dunkeld Railway outline plan of part of the estate of Murthly shewing the deer chase and extent of severance on each side of railway.' By John Young, surveyor , Perth and J Gellatly, lithographer, Edinburgh.
[1:7680] 1 inch = 600 feet. 1375 x 844 mm. Lithograph. Hand coloured. Compass rose. Linen backing.
Plan of the deer chase on the Murthly estate from Muir of Thorn to Burnbane and Pittensorn and north to the west of Murthly Castle and north to the south of Birnam Burn. Plan shows, the Perth and Dunkeld Railway; level, over and under crossings; woodland and bodies of water. Plan drawn in 1856, enlarged from plan of 183.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 September 17 17:39 BST (UK) »
Seems Easter Caputh was a farm in its own right
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14&lat=56.5476&lon=-3.4663&layers=1&b=1

If you scroll left you can see Mill of Muckly [and Muckly] on same map NW of Caputh as Skoosh has found.

ADDED: looked from Birnam along the railway. Little Burnbane is just NW of the asylum.
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=56.5342&lon=-3.4758&layers=168&b=1
Little Burnbane is just NW of the asylum. Although south of the river, Caputh would have been the nearest church.

PS  I lived in Murthly for 10 years....in the building at NW corner of Perthshire Lunatic Asylum - it had been 'decommissioned' by then  ;D.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 September 17 18:51 BST (UK) »
Glad to hear it, josey!!

Its good to be able to find these small places. I suppose a miller could have found work in any of them at the time.

I can see how close to that side of Caputh is Little Dunkeld, which is where I found the James Young was from when he married Isobel Wilson in Caputh in 1744. It seems perfectly feasible that this couple could have been the parents of David, baptised Caputh 1746, although then James was 'in Easter Caputh'.

It all fits, though without rock solid proof of course. Still, at least I can write it all up as a very strong possibility, which is probably as near as I'm going to get.

Thanks very much for the help.

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 September 17 21:22 BST (UK) »
Jill,
The attached map from 1803 predates the OS, and shows Mucklie Mill, and Mucklie to the west of Caputh, as previously noted.  It also shows an East, and West Burnbane due south of West Caputh and the river.  Looking to the east from Burnbane there are two or three locations where "Mickle" is the prefix to a farm, dwelling, or location.  Unfortunately not Burnbane.  Possibly it may be on earlier estate maps.  (http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400314)

Regards

Istrice

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 September 17 22:13 BST (UK) »
Jill,

Further to my earlier post, I was always led to believe that "mickle" meant small, (as opposed to "meikle" or "muckle" meaning large) as in the saying "Many's a Mickle mak's a Muckle".
This is contradicted by the "Dictionary of the Scots Language".  However, if the above phrase is Googled, the explanations given fly in the face of the Dictionary meaning.

This would mean that "Mickle Burnbane" would be translated on the later 6" OS (http://maps.nls.uk/view/74428142) as "Little Burnbane", which was previously named "West Burnbane" on the older estate map.

My apologies for the convoluted explanation.

Istrice