Author Topic: Which Janet Young is mine? help with placenames.  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which Janet Young is mine? help with placenames.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 September 17 07:50 BST (UK) »
A millwright would have to be mobile & travel to his work when required, his father may have been a miller & this was very much a family orientated trade. (Had generations of millers in my own lot.) The majority of the work in a meal-mill was grinding oats/bere, the staple diet of Scots. The tenants on an estate  were thirled to the estate mill & could use no other, in addition to which the tenants had to provide so many free days work to maintaining the mill & dam & also help cut & lead peats for the kiln. The miller took a percentage of the meal (his assistant also) ground & sold it at market. Meal was more or less a currency. The tenants often paid their rents in meal. The miller also had the power to break the tenants hand querns if he found out they were being used, not always a popular guy!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Which Janet Young is mine? help with placenames.
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 September 17 11:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the maps and explanations, Istrice - followed it fine!

Thanks also for the lowdown on being a millwright, Skoosh. I can see that a bit of flexibility in movement might have been in order.

Looking at the places on that map sort of sealed the deal for me:- James Young married in Caputh in 1744 when it says he's from Little Dunkeld. Son David is baptised 1746 s/o James in Easter Caputh.

Then David marries (none found as yet) and either has copious children from 1762 in Muckley (including Janet Y in 1770) or 5 children from 1767 in Burnbane (including Janet in 1767).

What I need to find now are those two marrages - unfortunately, not one of the children's baptisms give father's occupation so I'm hoping 'miller' might get mentioned in a marriage OPR if I can find it.

Cue: more spending on Scotlands People but, having come this far with your help, I'm determined to sort it out!

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.