Author Topic: private walter sydney freeman  (Read 2733 times)

Offline fedupp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: private walter sydney freeman
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 09 September 17 18:47 BST (UK) »
Newburychap ,thanks for that.
So full 21 years ......with colours ....required before a pension!  Don't think he was married then and lived to the age of 91 .....so probably no pension !!! Thanks. Also for link.
P.S.  Is western front assoc free or subscription ?
Fleming,o'connor/connor
Morgan,lewis,freeman,
Glithero

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 September 17 22:27 BST (UK) »
Must just pick up a couple of points. A pension was payable IF he was discharged with a service related disability otherwise, as Newburychap says, 21 years.
Second, the WFA isn't a sub site but there is a charge for the records.  However, from the dates you have given, your man was discharged 1911/12 ish so it is not relevant, the pension records held by the WFA are for the Great War.
As he served only 12 years, the question about a court martial sentence is not relevant to him.
All that said, I have the impression that you have the man's records.  It would make life easier if you give his name and details as I suspect I shall then be able to look at them and perhaps see clues therein. 
MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline fedupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 09 September 17 23:46 BST (UK) »
MaxD thanks again.
 Think I should apologise for mixing things up . Most of this thread/ topic is in regard to walter sidney freeman born 1897 died 1918, just after his 21st birthday .
  Because you have been very helpfull , in last few p0sts.I asked questions, Which refered to a walter charles freeman born 1882. Enlisted 1899 . A post on canadian page will explain more and yes his record is pre ww1 whist walter sidney is ww1 and the wstern front assoc. May be of help and is relevant. 
I also have a new topic on another WW1 person. 

To my shame my knowledge of ww1 is limited ,and as YOU and a few others do seem to have the knowledge AND are willing to help ,I. Just thought I'd keep going while I was on a roll.
I shouldn't have confused things .
Fleming,o'connor/connor
Morgan,lewis,freeman,
Glithero

Offline fedupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 September 17 00:52 BST (UK) »
MaxD walter charles freeman also on ..England , Northamptonshire. Page.
Fleming,o'connor/connor
Morgan,lewis,freeman,
Glithero

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 September 17 10:13 BST (UK) »
OK, I was clear we were talking about two different men, hence my request for the second one's name.  I've looked at the two other threads on Walter Charles and, if I may, would like to make a suggestion.  At the very least, each of the three threads would benefit from showing a link to the others.  The Northants board http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=778465.0  already has some service information which I would have spent time duplicating on this board as I was not aware of the other threads.

Best approach may be to invite folk to post any further info on Walter Charles on the Northants board leaving this one for Walter Sidney, certainly don't want another Walter Charles!!

That said, and back to Walter Sidney, others may say differently but my one experience of the Great War pension records held by WFA was very disappointing.  The card says almost nothing except prove the man was in receipt of a pension, there is no sentence that says he has a pension because...he was taken to... and he was suffering from..  I'll dig it out and show you the copy.

Busy today but more on the Walter Charles questions over on the Northants board in due course.

Sorry if this sounds a bit like a lecture - all in a spirit of helpfulness!

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline fedupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 10 September 17 14:30 BST (UK) »
MaxD thanks for your help and advice .
Fleming,o'connor/connor
Morgan,lewis,freeman,
Glithero

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 10 September 17 14:50 BST (UK) »
Attached is the pension record card I spoke about.  Requested in October, received in July.  The hieroglyphics are file references, the significance of which is long since lost in the mists of time!  Was it worth £25 - not in this case.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline fedupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 10 September 17 17:26 BST (UK) »
MaxD. Ref. pension card. OOPPS !.... See what you mean now !  Think I'd be a little " miffed " having to wait 8 months for that, plus the cost !!!! You would probably need a degree in 19/20th century military pensions administration interpretation, to understand that  ?!!!!
Thanks for sharing and taking time to explain .
Fleming,o'connor/connor
Morgan,lewis,freeman,
Glithero