Author Topic: private walter sydney freeman  (Read 2740 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: private walter sydney freeman
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 September 17 09:55 BST (UK) »
Personal service records were not held by any other organisation other than the War Office and, as we've seen, they do not exist.  Wootton Hall and the museum will no doubt be very polite but their reply is highly likely to be along the lines of my previous sentence.

I do understand your frustration at not being able to find anything more than his medal record but experience says that is all that will be found.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline fedupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 September 17 11:50 BST (UK) »
MaxD,thanks for your help, much appreciated !
 IF ....there is anyone out there ,who has a specai interest in OR is researching The 1st batt. Nothamtonshire regiment 1914-1918 ,I would be pleased to receive any info ,help or pointers towards any other sources of information on this subject .
 If anyone knows of any photos of 1st batt in 1918 ,....or ...ANY mention of Walter sidney freeman in ANYTHING I would love to hear of it . Thank you .
Fleming,o'connor/connor
Morgan,lewis,freeman,
Glithero

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 September 17 12:32 BST (UK) »
As far as the regiment is concerned then Googling Northamptonshire regiment WW1 will bring up a multitude of things to look at.  Make sure you are looking at 1st Battalion and from after 1915 (his medal record shows he didn't serve until after 1915 so probably a 1916 conscription).  Here's just one (scroll down a bit on it)  http://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/news/the-story-of-the-northamptonshire-regiment-in-the-great-war-1-6227176

You should also download the war diaries of the battalion.  There are four here
 http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=1%20northamptonshire%202%20infantry&_ep=diaries&_nq1=Yeomanry&_nq2=24&_nq3=lines&_cr=WO&_dss=range&_ro=any&_p=1900&_st=adv

but you may wish to ignore the 1914-1915 one as he wasn't serving then.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline fedupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 September 17 15:40 BST (UK) »
MaxD thanks for that ,should keep me busy for sometime !!!.
 Just wondering ....slightly off this thread.... If someone joined 2nd batt in 1899 ,served in s.africa and india  then moved to 1st batt  circa 1906-7 then to reserve ....what would that mean ? Would batt have been in reserve or would it have been a territorial batt. At the time ??   Also if it  Was a teritorial batt , would it count for years of service. Before disharged ??  Thanks
Fleming,o'connor/connor
Morgan,lewis,freeman,
Glithero

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 September 17 16:05 BST (UK) »
This sounds like a classic description of a twelve year engagement comprising 7 years with the colours (ie in uniform, full time) followed by 5 on the reserve.  The engagement had a caveat that if the man was overseas at the seven year point, he could serve eight with the colours and 4 on reserve.
While on the reserve, he was back in civilian life but with a liability to be called back to service in a national emergency.  On the most common form of reserve service the man received pay of 3/6 a week.  His discharge from that obligation and hence from the army would take effect at the 12 year point.

The dates you give could be either 7 and 5 or 8 and 4, the actual dates should clarify which.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline fedupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 September 17 16:39 BST (UK) »
MaxD thanks . I thought it may be ! Thank you for confirming and giving a clear and concise Expanation .
 Whilst on  reserve would he. Have to turn up at somewhere like a local co./ batt. Drill hall every so often or not ?  Could he have left the uk whilst on reserve ?
 Also at the end , when he was discharged would he have had to report In person to fill in documents or would / could it have been done by post ?  For 12 years service 7/8 at the colours ..would a small pension be payable or not ?
 Thanks
Fleming,o'connor/connor
Morgan,lewis,freeman,
Glithero

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 September 17 17:03 BST (UK) »
I'll have to do a little research on those question in order to be sure about the answers, I think I know but hate to guess!  Do you know what reserve he was on (look for Sections A B C or D although not all were in effect at all times) - the rules may have been different.

Someone else may happen along with the definitive answer!

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 September 17 18:07 BST (UK) »
... For 12 years service 7/8 at the colours ..would a small pension be payable or not ?
 Thanks

No - he would have had to stay with the colours for 21 years to qualify for a pension.

If he was married, especially with children, his widow would qualify for a pension. So there may be trace of him in the pension records held by the WFA.
https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/all-about-the-wfa/wfa-news-events/pension-records/the-wfa-preserves-a-major-great-war-archive-of-6-5-million-records.html
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline fedupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 September 17 18:33 BST (UK) »
MaxD thanks again .ref. What type of reserve  He was on.?  Can't remember, I'll have to check my files and get back to you on that .
 If though he rec a sentence.  From a field GCM court, even though later he received good conduct awards would any sentence have reduced his time served before discharge and
So the amount of pension he received ? 
Also would at this time a medal clasp been awarded for a battle or campaign. ?
Thanks
Fleming,o'connor/connor
Morgan,lewis,freeman,
Glithero