Author Topic: The Ward Brothers in WW1  (Read 1455 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Ward Brothers in WW1
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 September 17 10:11 BST (UK) »
The  Sgt Robert William Henry Ward that Christine cited served in the 8th London Regiment, the Post Office Rifles, as well as the 29th.  The WHR Ward (your link) has a different service number and the Family Search info is wrong, this one was Rifle Brigade so, as Christine rightly says, not your man.

I would go for Sgt Ward.

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 September 17 14:39 BST (UK) »
The only Horace William Ward, with the whole name spelled out, is a Private, number 204753 of 1/1st (City of London) Battalion (Royal Fusiliers) which was a battalion of the London Regiment.  Served in France July 17 to Feb 19.

The Family Search man served in the Royal Fusiliers (City of London) Regiment which despite the similarity of title was a different regiment and also in the Northumberland Fusiliers. 

Both have a fusilier and a London connection but on the evidence of his full name, my money is on the London Regiment man.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 September 17 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi MaxD,

Many thanks for your replies, very much appreciated.

Many thanks for info re Robert William Henry Ward & Horace William Ward, much appreciated.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 September 17 10:20 BST (UK) »
You are welcome.  I should have added that Sgt RWH Ward served in France 25 Oct 16 to 6 Apr 18.  So two who served overseas and two who served but remained in UK and were discharged sick.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk