Author Topic: James Fenders wifes maiden name  (Read 2356 times)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Fenders wifes maiden name
« on: Thursday 07 September 17 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi I`m hoping to find the maiden name of my 4x great grandmother Jane and would appreciate any help.

My 3x Great grandmother Margaret Fender was born in Spindleston, Northumberland in abt 1824. I haven`t been able to find her birth but on the 1841 census she is living in Eglingham Northumberlland.

James Fender aged 40
Jane aged 35
Thomas aged 15
Margaret aged 15
Elizabeth aged 14
Jane aged 13
James aged 10
Ellen aged 6
William aged 2

In 1843 Margaret married my 3 x great grandfather Robert Scott in Eglingham. Robert is also on the same Census living with his father Thomas and sister Ann.

What I`m trying to find is Margaret`s mothers maiden name. I can`t find a marriage for a James Fender and a Jane.

On the 1851 census James and Jane together with Elizabeth, Jane, James, Hellen aka Ellen and William are still in Eglingham. James place of birth is Tweedmouth and Janes is Chatton.

Because William was born about 1839 in Edlingham I looked to see any births for a William Fender. There was a William Lyall Finder born in Alnwick in 1838 on GRO with mothers maiden name Lyall. I thought maybe it was just ancestry having the wrong spelling. What was interesting tho was there was a Jane Lyall born 1802 and baptised 28 August 1803 but I dont think its him

Susan

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Fenders wifes maiden name
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 September 17 21:37 BST (UK) »
Why don't you think the William birth reg you found (Dec qtr 1838) is your William?

He seems a good fit, especially in light of this baptism:

Eglingham, 23 Dec 1838

William Finder, son of James and Jane.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 September 17 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Alnwick registration district covers Eglingham. Together with the baptism found by avm228 above, I believe that the birth registration that you found is indeed the correct one.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 September 17 23:08 BST (UK) »
Why don't you think the William birth reg you found (Dec qtr 1838) is your William?

He seems a good fit, especially in light of this baptism:

Eglingham, 23 Dec 1838

William Finder, son of James and Jane.

I think its with the name being Finder instead of Fender that made me doubt whether its the same William Fender. Thank you Avm228 and Dave for looking. If that is the case it might be worth a copy of his birth to confirm it but it does seem to fit well with the baptism above.

Kind Regards
Susan

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 September 17 10:12 BST (UK) »
You may already have this Tweedmouth parish baptism (image 100 on the online BTs on www.familysearch.org ):
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DTY7-K49?i=99&wc=9K59-3T5%3A13617901%2C30708101%2C30708102&cc=1309819

James Fender born 26 Feb bap 15 March 1801 1[st] son of Thomas Fender, A soldier in the 1st Battalion of the ?Train of Artillery, native of Enderwick, East Lothian, Scotland by his wife Margt late Young daughter of James Young, native of Horncliff.

I can't see a Border marriage for James Fender in either of the two NDFHS booklets.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 September 17 01:14 BST (UK) »
The registers of Chatton Parish
Jane Lyall
2nd daughter of Thomas n/o this parish,of Wooler  and his wife Elizabeth Willoughby n/o this parish ,but of Alnwick
born May 8th 1802
baptised 28th August

brother George 4th son born 12th July 1804
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 September 17 09:29 BST (UK) »
Had a look at the old newspapers
not that it brings you any closer
Alnwick Mercury
Friday 1st Feb 1856
Deaths
At Cawledge  Park,near Alnwick
8th ult
aged 54 Jane wife of Mr James Fender,husbandman
the same appeared in the Newcastle Guardian and Tyne Mercury on January 26th
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 September 17 16:05 BST (UK) »
You may already have this Tweedmouth parish baptism (image 100 on the online BTs on www.familysearch.org ):
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DTY7-K49?i=99&wc=9K59-3T5%3A13617901%2C30708101%2C30708102&cc=1309819

James Fender born 26 Feb bap 15 March 1801 1[st] son of Thomas Fender, A soldier in the 1st Battalion of the ?Train of Artillery, native of Enderwick, East Lothian, Scotland by his wife Margt late Young daughter of James Young, native of Horncliff.

I can't see a Border marriage for James Fender in either of the two NDFHS booklets.

Thank you Selden. This gives a lot of clues to go off. I have looked through the bishop transcipts for Norham as I noticed that there seemed to be quite a few baptisms of children from Horncliff but didnt come across any Youngs. There was a Margaret Young born 1st Jan 1770 and baptised 9 Jan 1770 in Spittal with parents James Young and Sarah. This was on the United presbytarian registers on ancestry but this Margaret was born in Tweedmouth. Thanks again Selden its much appreciated  :)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 September 17 16:59 BST (UK) »
The registers of Chatton Parish
Jane Lyall
2nd daughter of Thomas n/o this parish,of Wooler  and his wife Elizabeth Willoughby n/o this parish ,but of Alnwick
born May 8th 1802
baptised 28th August

brother George 4th son born 12th July 1804

Thankyou Radcliff I think I might have found their first daughter Elenor Lyel born 1797 in Wooler to Thomas Lyel and Elisabeth also a John Lyall born 1799 in Wooler. There is also a birth and death of Mark Lyall born 6 Nov 1792 and died 14 Aug 1793 with parents Thomas ans Elisabeth.

Ive also found a possible marriage for Thos Lyall and Elisabeth Willouby 27 May 1792 in Whittingham.

I think Ive also found the parents of Elizabeth. Elizabeth Willoughby born 1767 in Alnwick to parents Mark Willoughby and Elliner Cleghorn.

Thanks again Radcliffe. Its much appreciated also thankyou for the death notice for Jane which I didnt have