Author Topic: John Bumpstead - Again?  (Read 910 times)

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
John Bumpstead - Again?
« on: Thursday 07 September 17 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

In 2013 I asked for info on a miller called Harper John Bumpstead.  He'd been a naughty boy back in 1773 and was transported to the American colonies.

I now have a description of a John Bumpatead also a miller and also a naughty boy back in 1773 (Ipswich Journal - 1773/09/04).  The most interesting thing about him is that he was described as "black".  I've been researching Suffolk windmills for about 15 years and I have NEVER come across a black miller in Suffolk (that Suffolk, UK).

My interest has been pricked!

Does anyone know anything about this man?  Was he aka Harper John Bumpstead (Bumstead?)?  Where did he come from ?  A freed slave, a product of a mixed reunion?  Might have been continental, but with an English name.

Info I have (transcribed from the paper) is as follows:-

“STRADBROOK, Suffolk, Aug. 24th, 1773.
WHEREAS JOHN BUMPSTEAD, late of Syleham in Suffolk aforefaid, Miller, has defrauded Rachael Pulham of Hoxne of ten Pecks of Wheat, under a Pretention of Grinding, and afterwards converted the fame to his own Ufe, and has since abfconded:  Whoever will give Information of the faid John Bumpftead to Matthew Salter the younger of Stradbrook aforefaid, fo as he may be had and brought to Juftice for the faid Offence, fhall receive one Guinea Reward and all reafonable Charges, by me MATTHEW SALTER, junior.
N.B.  Bumpftead is a tall black Man, and generally fpeaks with a very loud Voice, and makes uncommon Motions with his Eyes when in common Converfation.”

ANYTHING would be great!!!

Cheers for now,
Windy
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Bumpstead - Again?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 September 17 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi again, wish I could help further for you, what a fascinating possibility, but a cursory glance at Suffolk baptisms ( although later than 1773) show 22 baptisms with Harper in the name including in 1877 Denham, a Harper James Rush?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Bumpstead - Again?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 September 17 23:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking.

The man I'm looking for JOHN BUMPSTEAD may or may not be the same man as Harper John Bumpstead.  I'm not sure.  When the Ipswich Journal have made references toward HJB they do not mention that he was black.  HJB escaped from prison and 1773 while awaiting trial, and as a wanted man I would have thought they might have mention the one characteristic that in 1773 who have stood him out from the crowd!  That suggests they are NOT the same man?

Windy
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers