Author Topic: Researching my Family Purcell, Alexander came out from Jamaica born 1824  (Read 5248 times)

Offline pepewinsome

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Researching my Family Purcell, Alexander came out from Jamaica born 1824
« on: Friday 08 September 17 03:40 BST (UK) »
Hi if anyone has any info on Alexander Purcell he was born Kingston Jamaica 1824, even tho on alot of documents he states his age as being born 1830, his parents where Jane Williams Gregory and father Frederick Purcell. Once he got to Australia he was a marina that worked up and down the Nsw coast and married Sarah Spring 1861, had my great grand father,(Alexander) then according to others married her sister Elizabeth and had 4 more children, how ever I think sarah and Elizabeth are the same person, still working on that theory. Ide ideally love a picture of him, or even any info at all. much appreciated.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Researching my Family Purcell, Alexander came out from Jamaica born 1824
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 September 17 03:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Pepewinsome and welcome to rootsChat

Do you know where in NSW your Purcell family lived?
Back in the 1940s/50s there were Purcells at Lake Cargelligo, that I know of.
Plus there may have been some of that name at Hill End, though if he was a mariner then I guess that cuts them out?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 September 17 04:06 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat

Alexander John, born 30 March 1862, baptised 29 Oct 1862, All Saints, St Kilda VICTORIA with parents as Alexander and Sarah Ada PURCELL.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTZ2-QMQ

Vic BDM online index has the following:
1861 Marriage Sarah Ada SPRING and Alexander PURCELL  reference #1974
1862 Birth Alexander John PURCELL, parents as Alexander and Sarah Ada (Spring) #8054.
https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/

Here is a crew and passenger list where he is recorded as aged 54, a Steward, of Jamaica.  The voyage is August, 1882 inter-colonial from Melbourne Victoria to Sydney New South Wales.
http://marinersandships.com.au/1882/08/media/090leu.gif 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 September 17 04:18 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Did Alexander, born Jamaica, happen to die in Victoria?  If so, could this be his death registration?  If so, what information is provided on that document re his possible marriages to Sarah Ada and to Elizabeth?   Would you consider the informant would have been able to provide reliable information?
1885 PURCELL Alexander  Reg. no 9886

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/191200961 The Age 9 July 1885

PURCELL.—On the 8th July, at 54 Heath-street, Port Melbourne, after a long and painful illness, Alexander Purcell, the dearly beloved husband of Elizabeth Purcell, ship steward, aged 54 years

Is this Elizabeth's death?  What information is given on that document about her marriage and her children?
1888 PURCELL Elizabeth  Spouse's family name Spring Reg. no 7250

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 September 17 04:57 BST (UK) »

BDM VIC deaths
1917 / 13249 NOLAN   Adeline parents PURCELL Alexander / Elizth (Spring)
died Melb E 52yr   

1932 / 6721 BLACK   Alice Emma   parents PURCELL Alexander / Elizth (Spring)
died Melb South  65yr   

1938 / 11212 DOUGLAS Elizabeth parents PURCELL Alexander / Elizabeth (Spring)
born Melbourne Sth died Melbourne 70yr   

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 September 17 05:03 BST (UK) »
It appears Alexander was also a publican in St Kilda for a time. Insolvency details (1863) here:
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article154966543

And a witness to a robbery on the ship You Yangs  (he was chief steward) in 1872
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article5839324

Offline pepewinsome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 September 17 07:48 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone, and thankyou for all your information, I have all this info already, the thing is, I cant find a birth cert for Sarah Spring, Have their marriage cert saying married 1861 and she was 20yrs at the time. Then elizabeth came along and no death cert for sarah either. I have how ever found a Elizabeth Spring born NSW 1849, but if she passed in 1888 she would have been like 12 when married. Also Alexander I think has lied about his age, 1824 it states in the Jamaican records, how reliable are they? he says he was 29 when he married Sarah but infact would have been 35/36. Im not sure if sarah was Elizabeth, both had middle name Ada aswell, I have their signatures. Posted on the can you read this writing forum. He seem to have ALOT of children yet im still trying to find a picture of any of them or him, apart from one i have of his son Alexander John born 1862 which is my great grandfather.

Offline pepewinsome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 September 17 07:56 BST (UK) »
It appears Alexander was also a publican in St Kilda for a time. Insolvency details (1863) here:
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article154966543

This is very interesting, thankyou..this is him..he had lost a baby that year and this is when I heard his wife sarah had also may have passed, yet no record of that as yet. Funny to find out he was a publican as his oldest son Alexander my great grandfather was also a publican in Perth western Australia, at The Odd Fellows hotel, now know as the Norfolk Hotel in Fremantle, perhaps he new the business from a child.

Offline pepewinsome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 September 17 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Did Alexander, born Jamaica, happen to die in Victoria?  If so, could this be his death registration?  If so, what information is provided on that document re his possible marriages to Sarah Ada and to Elizabeth?   Would you consider the informant would have been able to provide reliable information?
1885 PURCELL Alexander  Reg. no 9886

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/191200961 The Age 9 July 1885

PURCELL.—On the 8th July, at 54 Heath-street, Port Melbourne, after a long and painful illness, Alexander Purcell, the dearly beloved husband of Elizabeth Purcell, ship steward, aged 54 years

Is this Elizabeth's death?  What information is given on that document about her marriage and her children?
1888 PURCELL Elizabeth  Spouse's family name Spring Reg. no 7250

JM
Yes all the above is true and facts, I have no marriage cert only her sisters Sarah and his...Im still thinking Sarah is actually Elizabeth, but they where supposed to been born NSW and only birth cert i can find for either name is Elizabeths born 1849 which would make her 12yrs old when she married. I have Elizabeths childrens marriages Certs, in whcih Elizabeth  has signed, and put Alexander as husband etc