Author Topic: Researching my Family Purcell, Alexander came out from Jamaica born 1824  (Read 5187 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Researching my Family Purcell, Alexander came out from Jamaica born 1824
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 10 September 17 10:14 BST (UK) »
Are Sarah's folks not William John Spring and Mary Newall?

I thought it was Elizabeth's mother who was a Hayes?

It is possible that Sarah wasn't born in NSW, but thought she was.

What would 'Reputed' as an occupation mean?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 10 September 17 10:20 BST (UK) »

I read the occupation of William John SPRING, on the marriage certificate, 1861, to be "reporter".

John and James SPRING can be found in Trove, convict brothers working at the Government printing office. The SPRING family would seem to be associated with printing / newspapers in NSW through the 19th century.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 10 September 17 10:21 BST (UK) »
Sarah was underage, consent came from the Guardian of Minors (ie from someone in the civil administration) after a search for her parents based likely on info she gave to that officer.  I am guessing the Guardian of Minors spoke directly with the clergy.  I think the clergy then recorded 'Reputed' to signify that the info about Sarah's parent/s was/were 'Reputed to be'  :)

I could well be wrong, but that is how I have made sense of the entry. 

Wivenhoe's explanation makes much better sense that my guesswork.   :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 10 September 17 10:28 BST (UK) »
Late to the party  ;D but hope I've grasped it all!! I have been reading this thread as it's developed so hope I haven't missed this being said before. Just a small point - if Elizabeth was 50 when she died in 1888 [although I know this information was only the best available to the informant] - she would have been 22/23 in 1861. So patently not the 1849 birth & surely also not requiring permission...
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline pepewinsome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 10 September 17 10:57 BST (UK) »

Can you please identify which BDM certificates you have.

The death certificate, 1885 Victoria, for Alexander PURCELL has information given by his son, Alexander.  Son Alexander is naming his father's wife, and his father's children.  Son Alexander might not be naming his own mother. The marriage certificate for Alexander PURCELL would be useful to see how he names his own mother. 

Do you have this certificate -

BDM WA marriage
123 / 1899 PURCELL  Alexander John  m.   BURDAK  Helena Olivia Orelia  @  Coolgardie
I dont have this, perhaps I could try order it?

Offline pepewinsome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 10 September 17 11:11 BST (UK) »
Late to the party  ;D but hope I've grasped it all!! I have been reading this thread as it's developed so hope I haven't missed this being said before. Just a small point - if Elizabeth was 50 when she died in 1888 [although I know this information was only the best available to the informant] - she would have been 22/23 in 1861. So patently not the 1849 birth & surely also not requiring permission...
Hello and welcome to my nightmare haha I for the life of me cant work out if sarah and elizabeth are the same person, I do get that Elizabeth has 1838 as year of birth, by writing she was 50 at her time of death in 88 how ever there are no records of being born in 1838, I can only find 1849 for Elizabeth S spring so far anyway in NSW records online, And no marriage recorded either to Alexander yet either, only Sarah. Both signed their middle names on different documents as ADA which i find weird. Alexander lied about his age I think as I have the Jamaican docs stating he was born 1824 not 1830 as he has written on everything. We will get these sooner or later, Im glad I have everyone helping, my mind is at exploding point, been at this for a few years now off and on.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 10 September 17 11:14 BST (UK) »
 :D

Groom's mother Yes! from 1896 on WA marriage registrations

http://www.jaunay.com/bdm.html

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline pepewinsome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 20 October 17 03:09 BST (UK) »
Hello, new info just in, on Alexanders marriage cert he names his mother as elizabeth...